Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

curly's excellent CSNS trip

Off to my fitness center, pumped a few ton of iron and then off to Cincinatti. Ran into some heavy rain driving through Dayton and then the sun came out and clear sailing down I-75.

Got registered up and into the bourse I go. Since today is PNG day there were no crowds and few dealers. If you are looking to kibbutz, this is the day to do it and kibbutz I did.

First up was Julian Liedman. Julian helped me with an Irish schilling about a year ago and I was sure to thank him for it. He also gave me the pass to get in today. I know Julian doesn't remember but I first met him at a Dayton, Ohio show about 30 yrs. ago.

Aroud the corner I go and there is Andy Skrabalac at the Angel Dees table. The brother has some copper to die for. I told him I would show him mine if he would show me his. He agreed to those terms and began to whip his stuff out. I then informed him that I'm an old man and I didn't have my stuff with me. He said I could bring my stuff with me tomorrow but I could still look at his. So I said "ok". What a nice guy Andy is. He unlocked his case and let me reach in and take out as much stuff as I wanted. We talked about Flying Eagles, the Pirates, Lincolns, the Pirates, Buffalo Nickles, and the Pirates. Every now and then some guy named Roberto Clemente would come up. As I was looking at his coins, he excused himself and left to bring over another dealer that I had been wanting to meet.

Back he comes with none other than Laura Sperber! After exchanging pleasantries, we got down to coins. I did have my proof VDB with me and I showed it to her. She told me that it was fresh because she sees coins over and over and she couldn't remember ever seeing mine. That made me feel good.

A few minutes later over walks Brian Wagner. More coin talk. I invited myself to go with Brian to the auction tomorrow night.

I figured that if I were going to make the rounds, I better get moving and so of I went to see a dealer friend of mine from the old days, Dale Williams. He was busy with another customer so I didn't get to say anything to him.

Next up was Andy Lustig. We chatted about his "The Numistmist" articles for a little while.

I asked Andy if he had seen Mark Feld because I was also looking for him. He said he was around somewhere but I never did find him. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

Next up was the Harry Laibstain table. Since no one was busy, I asked if I could look at two Chain Cents that they had. No problem. Now picture this. Here is an old factory rat like curly setting at Harry Laibstain's table handling not one, but TWO Chain Cents! I should of had my picture taken.

I also looked for Rick Snow but couldn't find him. I'll catch him tomorrow also.

I was also looking for Mad Marty's chicken. I told him once that if I ever got my hands on it that I would have my way with it.

At 3:30, I figured I'd better get out of town if I didn't want to got stuck in traffic so I decided I had better leave.

No crowds at all so it was a great day for chatting up the dealers and looking at and feeling up some very high dollar coins. I'm looking forward to tomorrow but I know I won't get the face time like I had today.
Every man is a self made man.

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Great read, thanks for sharing.image
    Becky
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    WOW, those are some power hitters curly for sure. Enjoy your show bigtime, when you run into Rick and The Penny Lady, give my regards, I will see them in a cpl more weeks.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed you curly, I did my rounds and then left to do some writing. See you tomorrow. image
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    It's hard to explain how jealous I am.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to explain how jealous I am. Me too! Thanks for sharing...truly an excellent day!
    ANA LM
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Great read curly, sounds like a blast!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story Jack. Next time take me with you. I'd like to get my hands on a few chains and maybe a proof VDB.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>Great story Jack. Next time take me with you. I'd like to get my hands on a few chains and maybe a proof VDB. >>

Tell you what brother, Andy had his proof VDB with him and it's a beauty!! It looks a lot better that the pic on the registry forum.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    [As I was looking at [Andy Skrabalak's] coins, he excused himself and left to bring over another dealer that I had been wanting to meet. Back he comes with none other than Laura Sperber!

Stuff like this is why RYK will never leave. image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's hard to explain how jealous I am. >>

Exactly...

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was also looking for Mad Marty's chicken. I told him once that if I ever got my hands on it that I would have my way with it.

<< It's hard to explain how jealous I am. >>

Me too!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Curly - please swing by table 1700 on Thursday and say hey!
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>Curly - please swing by table 1700 on Thursday and say hey! >>

I will see you tomorrow, brother.
  • Options
    What a great day! Thanks for telling us about it.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Nice report Curly,Rick,sorry i missed you in Vegas,saw everyone else,missed Brian too.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    Great report ... I am also jealous! I wish I could be there but the man (who happens to be me) won't let me off from work! image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome read.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I told him I would show him mine if he would show me his. He agreed to those terms and began to whip his stuff out. I then informed him that I'm an old man and I didn't have my stuff with me. He said I could bring my stuff with me tomorrow but I could still look at his. So I said "ok". What a nice guy Andy is. He unlocked his case and let me reach in and take out as much stuff as I wanted. >>

I always wondered what went on at PNG day.........image

Sounds like you had a blast hob-nobbin' with the rich and famous. Like many others, I'm jealous also!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report! Another excellent thread.

Sure wish I was there, too!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am jealous too.

I was introduced to Andy of Angel Dee's at the recent Santa Clara show. Great guy with killer copper. I also met The Penny Lady and bought a couple of coins from her.

I am of two opinions about your "Fresh" 1909 VDB Proof Lincoln:

a. it is 101 years old - how can it really be "fresh"?; and

b. it can be considered "fresh" if it has not been "on the market" [whatever that means] or if it has not been seen by "movers and shakers in the market" [whatever that means] (as opposed to being seen by Mrs. Curly while you are holding it at home sitting at the kitchen table while she is cooking you dinner).
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Curly, thanks for sharing. I can't wait to hear about tomorrow!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Great report! I wonder if this read will send a certain excessively prominent forumite into a frothy frenzy of numismatic desire? If you had mentioned meeting his man crush I would have no doubts about such an outcome image

KJ ---> looking forward to hearing all about day 2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file