Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this sellers story?

Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
Ebay-Pried open safe discovery
Should there be pictures of the safe before they sandblasted it?
How about pictures of the process of opening it? I know I would have documented it.

Just curious what everyone thinks. If it is a true story it sure is cool.
Rob the Newbie

Comments

• Options
    Ill pass, thank you very much...
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    From the description:

<< <i>I know very little about coins but they have always intrigued me. I will not accept returns on these items. >>

Translation: run.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    I'm not buying it! image But it would be cool if it were true. I don't like when they show rolls but not the ends of the rolls... It leaves you kind of speculating whether it will be a BU roll or some old worn out roll of coins...
  • Options
    He won't accept returns ... that does seem to make his auction a lot more tempting. I only hope to avoid a bidding war so that I don't end up paying twice of the amount that I want to pay (which is 0). image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a bunch of BS!!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So instead of taking photos of the coins, he rolls them and takes a picture of the roll? RUN!!!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    "Once upon a time,...."

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So instead of taking photos of the coins, he rolls them and takes a picture of the roll? RUN!!!! >>

If you read the guys interesting tale he states "I decided I will sell them how I found them. Most of which were in rolls.", which lead a reasonable person to believe that he is selling the rolls as they came out of the safe.
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options

<< <i>If you read the guys interesting tale he states "I decided I will sell them how I found them. Most of which were in rolls.", which lead a reasonable person to believe that he is selling the rolls as they came out of the safe. >>

These rolls don't look all that old.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    I see this as a golden opportunity to "steal" some excellent coins from someone who "knows very little about coins..." The seller does not say the coins are unsearched, but I'm sure he is ignorant of their true value.

It should be noted that the seller has a perfect feedback as a seller (33) many of whom are not the same buyer.

Pity no sales in the last 90 days to gauge the nature of the items sold in the past.

The bid is already several $ over melt, and should explode as bidders realize what an opportunity this is. image
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    "sealed stagecoach safe"

pffft. Yeah right.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a swindle.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee whiz...it is amazing how many years that Stagecoach Safe would have been around with everyone being able to ascertain that something was in it but not being able to open it. And just a simple sandblasting cleaned off the rust so it could be opened and the fabulous contents revealed.

Sorry but too many holes for me...plus the rolls don't fit into the story but like it has been pointed out, the seller does have decent feedback.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options

<< <i>The bid is already several $ over melt >>

Assuming there aren't clad quarters inside...
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    The auction should be titled, "Dateless Standing Quarter roll", and the description should say, "the title says it all".

Ray
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like a bunch of BS!!!!! >>

Agree. EBay isn't exactly known for truthfull sellers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The auction should be titled, "Dateless Standing Quarter roll", and the description should say, "the title says it all".

Ray >>

Oh come on now.......There is a very good chance that the roll is a gem roll of 1916.

BTW, if a seller has some convuluted story about burried jars of Grandpa's coins or rusted safes, or tightly wrapped unopened rolls, it's a scam.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    he has other coins for sale from that "stage coach" safe anyone that finds a rusty old safe with jingling going on inside isnt going to auction it, they will get it open themselves.
  • Options
    How many stage coaches were running their routes while Standing Liberty Quarters were being used in commerce?

Call me cynical; however, I'll pass on this one.
    Garrow
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"sealed stagecoach safe" >>

<< <i>pffft. Yeah right. >>

LOL... he found it at Rawhide guarded by a stuffed cowboy image

Ed
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    How many used modern paper rolls to wrap the coins in! image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seated collector is right...no auctioneer I know is going to just sell a safe with known items inside as is. They will cut, pry, call a locksmith, whatever they need to do to get the safe open. Then they'll sell the contents, and the busted safe as well. They want the last nickel on any estate deal because that's more commission for them.

Also... reality check. They call this a "stagecoach safe". To have that kind of rust on it, it would have had to sit in a moist environment for the last 100 years....so, with early date Indians you might be able to pull off this claim... but how many Standing libs, Barbers, or Buffaloes do you know of that were being transported by stagecoach even when they were new? image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    in his other auctions he shows a pile of silver coins for sale.
    of course two roosies are also in that pile. i would also bet those
    washington quarters are later dates too. say 1964 perhaps!

gee. stagecoach era coins indeed.

i agree with others. nothing special will be in those rolls.
    someone bought junk silver and decided to roll it up back in the
    day.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Once upon a time,...."

image >>

I had to read no further.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those SLQ's could be stagecoach coins if they were brought back from 1955 by Doc Brown or Marty McFly. They circulated quite freely back then....lol.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    "It was pretty obvious something was inside, but the contents were unknown."

Now let me get this straight...

You have one rusted "stagecoach" safe. You can't get it open, no matter how hard you try. Yet it is "obvious" something is inside.

Must have X-ray vision.
    Garrow
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"It was pretty obvious something was inside, but the contents were unknown."

Now let me get this straight...

You have one rusted "stagecoach" safe. You can't get it open, no matter how hard you try. Yet it is "obvious" something is inside.

Must have X-ray vision.
    Garrow >>

Perhaps they could hear something moving around inside as they moved this ficticious safe.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

OOOOOH I'll bet there's going to be some POed folks when they get this JUNK ! ! ! image

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"sealed stagecoach safe"

pffft. Yeah right. >>

Yes, stagecoaches were in wide use as late as 1916.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How many used modern paper rolls to wrap the coins in! image >>

You noticed that too, eh?
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>OOOOOH I'll bet there's going to be some POed folks when they get this JUNK ! ! ! image >>

You mean the people who think they're going to get a roll rare coins for somewhere around melt from that poor, unsuspecting seller who doesn't know the value of what he has?

Those folks? image
  • Options
    I doubt they are BU from the size of the New wrappers they are in, Look kinda short to me.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many stage coaches were running their routes while Standing Liberty Quarters were being used in commerce?

Call me cynical; however, I'll pass on this one.
    Garrow >>

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"sealed stagecoach safe"

pffft. Yeah right. >>

Yes, stagecoaches were in wide use as late as 1916. >>

At least as late as 1932, as there are washington quarters in one of the lots.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He may know little about coins..... but his feedback shows that he was selling some back in Nov. of last year.....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well how about this scenario all of you doubting Thomases? Just thinking that is all:

On the set of one of the great John Ford westerns the stagecoach was coming into town with just a plain old lightweight lockbox. The Duke himself yelled 'Stop the take!' and strolled over to John and said 'Dammit John, nobodys going to believe that all of the stolen gold is going to be transported in that thing. Let's get a real safe.' Ford said 'I don't have time to get one, just do the scene.' where the Duke replied 'Pilgrim, I have never let any director' push me around and I am not about to start now. You either get a real safe or else I am going on vacation and then see how long it take you to finish this film.

At this point Ford tells one of his assistants to go get a safe. The assistant has no idea of where to get one and while he is driving into town he passes a small antique store. He decides to go in and ask if anyone knows where he can get a safe. He goes into the store and looks around but doesn't see anybody. 'Hey!' he yells, 'Anybody here?'

The proprietor was in back taking a nap and was not happy to be woken up but since he hadn't had a sale all week he thought he had better be nice and strolled out with a smile on. 'Howdy young feller!' he said to Ford's assistant, 'How can I help ya?'

'You have any old safes around?' asked the assistant.

'Today is my lucky day!' thought the antique store owner. He had been down to the salvage yard looking for new stock for the store and happened to see a couple of open safes that were being used as planters. He asked the yard's owner about them and he said he had gotten them from a safe manufacturer who forgot to put locks in them. He told the antique man that he would sell them to him, but 'Be careful as when the door closes it can be tough to get open again, you'll have to pry it open and what ever you do don't let them get wet because the door might rust shut and then it will have to be sandblasted to be opened'. 'No problem, I need some planters and I like those'. was the response and the transaction was done for $30.00 cash each. He brought them back to the store, unloaded them with the help of a friend and washed them out in preparation for planting. He wasn't worried about the door being stuck closed as he was never planning on closing it.

'Got a couple old ones, what kind ya looking for?' He told the young man.

'I don't know, what do you have?'

'Well what are ya going to do with it?'

'I need it for a movie...a big movie staring John Wayne and directed by Ford. He sent me here personally. If you have a safe we can use in the movie money is not a problem. The safe is going to be carried by a stagecoach so it has to be a stagecoach safe,'

The old man had never heard of a stagecoach safe but was pretty sure the young assistant had no idea what one was either so he said 'Well I have one but it is sold already.'

'Name your price man, this is for a movie with John Wayne!' replied the assistant!

'Well the other feller will be pretty upset with me but since it is for Mr Wayne I can let you have it for what I paid for it, 500.00 cash.'

'Done!' cried the assistant, happy that he had so quickly found the object of his search and sure he would be looked upon favorably by Mr Ford upon his triumphant return. The money was exchanged, the safe loaded into the trunk of the young man's car and off he went. The proprietor immediately closed up shop, deciding he need a couple weeks of. Too bad he would not be around if those movie types wanted their money back!

Back on the set the young assistant showed off his trophy. 'What the he!! is that?' Ford asked. 'It is a stagecoach safe so we can start filming again'. was the reply. Ford didn't like the idea of loading the safe up on the stagecoach at all but he was well aware of the slipping timeline. "I don't like it but let's go.'

The safe was loaded, scene set up and Ford yelled 'Action!' The stagecoach rolled into town and the safe was kicked off by the shotgun rider as he was supposed to. As it hit the ground the door popped open. 'Cut, Cut' Ford yelled. 'What the devil! Lock that safe and get it back up there!' Now knowing that the safe had no lock the assistant quickly thought up an idea and said to Ford 'Gee Whiz Mr Ford, wouldn't it be neat if when the safe hit the ground some coins fell out?'

Ford thought for a moment. It was a good idea but he could not have some assistant giving him ideas after all, he was the director. 'No it would not be a good idea. When the safe hits some coins should fall out.' he said. 'Now go get some gold coins for the safe and make them old coins'

The assistant knew that the tech guy on the set was a coin collector and often once the cameras started rolling he would go into his trailer and spend hours looking at coins. He could have been out on the set trying to hit some of the starlet wannabees but would rather look at coins. "A stranger bird indeed but I need him right now.' he though. Off to the technical trailer he went where Dexter the collector was ensconced with his collection. He pounded on the door and shouted 'Dexter, Ford needs some of your coins'. Dexter let him in and after hearing about the situation he agreed to give him some of his culls. 'But I need gold coins' said the assistant. Dexter replied 'I'll put then in rolls and no one will be able to tell if they are gold or not. ' The assistant wasn't sure but had no choice. "Let do it.' and Dexter started rolling'

Back on the set the assistant arrived with the rolled coins. The coins were put in the safe, the safe put on the stagecoach and the scene reshot. When the safe was kicked off the door popped open, the rolls fell out, the Duke walked over and said 'Now that's more like it. A little payment for my troubles'. bent over picked up a handful or rolls, stuffed them in his pocket and walked into the saloon. "Cut' yelled Ford. That was perfect, absolutely perfect.' Wayne came out of the saloon, put the rolls back in the safe and some lackeys picked up the safe and carted it off to a storage facility for the studio. Dexter never got his coins back.

There it remained until 1998 when it was brought out for the making of 'The James Gang meets the 3 Stooges' and while being transported to the studio in Branson Mo it fell off the truck, rolled down and embankment into a stream. The door did not open as it had been lightly rusted shut as a result of the antique proprietor hosing it off in order to plant his plants and this saved the rolls from falling out. The safe remained in the stream for years and by the time it was found by some boys trout fishing it was solidly rusted shut. They hauled it out and lugged it their grandpa's house since it was only a mile or so away. Grandad said 'This dang thing is to rusted to open so let's auction her off and take the money and buy some good sipping wiskey.' The boys said 'But gramps, we don;'t know what is in it...we can here something like coins rattling around, could be gold or something! If it is Charlie and I can go to college!' Gramps said 'Don't know what is in it, don't know what ain't. We're auctioning it and getting some whiskey and that is final.'

And that my friends, is how this safe ended up being stuffed with rolls of coins at an aution and never having been opened. Now, there is more to the story but I have cut it short. Ya know with all of this pig flu and stuff going around can;t be in one place too long!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    This is wrong in so many ways.... but creative.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy should be a scriptwriter for Hollywood movies. LOL
  • Options
    MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    from wikipedia

The last American chapter in the use of the stage coaches took place between 1890 and the late 1920s
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bullcarp.
  • Options
    stagecoach - doubtful
    But on the other hand, Once upon a time today. I was out back digging the garden and low and behold, I found a bunch of mason jars (6) 3 were filled with moonshine, (which I am drunking ). the other 3 were filled with coins, which I am willing to sell to the high bidder. This used to be a bootlegger house back in the old days. So that should explain how old these are. So start the bidding (sight unseen) and No returns. imageimage
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    LOL, I see the "stagecoach safe" B.S. artist just got his first NEG... Feedback image

And most of the positive feedbacks are not so "positive" if you know what I mean image In most cases, the buyers realized they got bamboozled, but left positives anyway. Why is it that so many buyers still don't have the guts to slam a seller with a Neg when he deserves it? Perhaps they feel embarrassed for being so gullible?
  • Options
    Sounds like a new episode of Geraldo Riveraimage
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like a new episode of Geraldo Rivera >>

If I remember after opening that Andrea Doria safe (and finding rotten cash) they did another show opening a gangsters sealed in room in a building. Anyone remember that?

Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file