Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need Advice: Best way to sell 2008-W MS AGE's

First, I am not selling right now. I bought 6 sets of 2008-W Burnished AGE's, and need to move a few of them to cover some upcoming expenses. I'm trying to determine the best way to get the most money back out of them. My current thinking is to send them in to PCGS, hopefully assemble a few MS70 sets, and sell just those on the Bay. Other options I'm considering are only slabbing the 1/4 and 1 oz coins, as they seem to be doing better than the 1/10 and 1/2.

So, I guess I'm looking for thoughts on:
- whether to slab or not
- whether to sell individually or as sets
- whether to sell through online auction, dealer, or Buy/Sell/Trade forum

I was set on getting them certified until I added up the grading and shipping fees (about $850). I can afford to wait several months before needing to do anything with them, and I do not need to sell everything. I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Successful transactions with: goldman86, dmarks, CoinFame, segoja, commoncents05, wondercoin, Dabigkahuna, Levinll, RNCHSN, MrOrganic, Type2, ModernCoinMart, alohagary, BECOKA, guitarwes, rbf, fishteeth, freechance, agentjim007, PQPeace, Russ, GSAGuy

Comments

• Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Sounds like you'd be setting yourself back nearly a grand if you do send them to PCGS with no guarantee of any 70's. Then factor in the eBay and PP fees for selling those items and you're talking quite a bit more. How many 70's would you need to make it worth it?

I'm not up on the difference in the current selling prices between the 69's and 70's, or the PCGS ratio in assigning those grades. How many 70's WOULD you need to do better than just taking them to a dealer?

EDITED TO ADD: If you don't need the cash right away, as you stated, the gambler in me would say send 'em in!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    BothuwuiBothuwui Posts: 484 ✭✭
    Can't find a lot of sold history on these, but I'd guess the spread between a 69 and 70 would be about $50 for the 1/10 oz up to $250 or more for the 1 oz. I'd also guess that more than 1/2 are getting 70's from PCGS.
    Successful transactions with: goldman86, dmarks, CoinFame, segoja, commoncents05, wondercoin, Dabigkahuna, Levinll, RNCHSN, MrOrganic, Type2, ModernCoinMart, alohagary, BECOKA, guitarwes, rbf, fishteeth, freechance, agentjim007, PQPeace, Russ, GSAGuy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file