Home Sports Talk
Options

Embarassed by rows of empty seats Yankess cut expensive ticket prices

From USA Today:

Even the Yankees' arrogance has its limits.
Less than a week after Yankees president Randy Levine blasted MLS commissioner Don Garber for mentioning the empty premium seats at the new Yankee Stadium, the club finally deigned adjust its prices.

Those much-discussed $2,500 seats? Now they can be had for half the price. The foul-line seats that used to go for a cool grand? A veritable bargain now at $650.

And you don't even have to bid on eBay for the discounts.

The Yankees announced they're reducing the price on more than 40% of their front-row seats and will offer additional free tickets to those who have already bought premium tickets at the original price.

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter said the empty seats had become such a hot topic of media discussion, it was virtually impossible to avoid it.

"You noticed it, because everybody was talking about it," Jeter told MLB.com. "You couldn't help but to look. But I'm sure if they did (cut prices), they did it for a good reason."

The discounts are only valid for this season, lest the economy gets kick-started and the Yankees become a hot ticket again.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wake me when the most expensive seat in the house is 100.00

Taxpayer money built that stadium BTW.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was "arrogance" on their part, taking advantage of their loyal fans, figuring they were chumps who would pay anything to get their "Yankees fix" - The Yankees and perhaps other teams, will hopefully learn a lesson from this, and respect their fans a bit more, and appreciate their fans and not try to gouge them.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who would pay $2500 or $1200 to see a regular season game in any professional sport is out of their pea pickin mind. What planet are these idjits from?
  • Options
    "What planet are these idjits from?"

I believe they're from the planet Boston -- they travel south to boo the Yankee players. image
  • Options
    always the hater.