Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Presidential Dollar Registry Sets

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
Please explain to me why some of you feel the need to not let the public view the contents of your Presidential Dollar Registries?

Is the "Competitive Edge" really that important?
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Now, I find that funny for some reason. image

Let's see maybe they are all 70s?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    That is interesting, especially when you KNOW what "Justin's Presidential Dollar Set" has in his registry! image

Only question would be what "James Elsmore...." has in his set, or should I say what he DOESN'T have in his set. image
  • Options

<< <i>That is interesting, especially when you KNOW what "Justin's Presidential Dollar Set" has in his registry! image

Only question would be what "James Elsmore...." has in his set, or should I say what he DOESN'T have in his set. image >>

I have no idea whats in Justin Set(s) or James for that matter;

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I guess I just do not understand the games that some folks play!

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>That is interesting, especially when you KNOW what "Justin's Presidential Dollar Set" has in his registry! image

Only question would be what "James Elsmore...." has in his set, or should I say what he DOESN'T have in his set. image >>

After re-reading your post, this is another one of those "what the heck is he thinking" type scenarios. Do you suppose he'll "spring" it on everybody come June and then "unregister" it in July for the following June or what?

Again I do not understand the logic or thinking behind NOT posting a set or in not letting folks see what is in the set!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

<< <i>Please explain to me why some of you feel the need to not let the public view the contents of your Presidential Dollar Registries?

Is the "Competitive Edge" really that important? >>

You can't view mine because I don't have one image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin is concentrating all of his efforts on the "Presidential Dollars Position A & B Set, Circulation Strikes (2007-2016): Justin's Presidential Dollar Set". He loves business strike coins and through the first (9) Presidents and (32) coins in both position A & B he has assembled a perfect set of coins. So, if his set was closed, it was merely by accident - obviously there is nothing to hide - he has a perfect set of coins to this point. Nine down and at least 35 to go -happy hunting everyone!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I feel it is everyones right to do as they wish with their collections. I do not have a problem with people that choose to keep their sets out of the public view. If anyone really wanted to figure out what is in a high ranked set, it is not that difficult now. By tracking what is in the displayed sets, and using the "what if" feature you can get pretty close.

I suspect some sets are kept closed to tease the curiousity of others. If that is the case, it worked by getting this thread started. It sort of reminds me of the closed "California" Morgan set. Every 3 or 4 months someone asks the same question about it.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I feel it is everyones right to do as they wish with their collections.

I agree, but sometimes there's a motive.
    I was once told that some do it because they don't want other's ("competitors") to know what they need for upgrades or to fill dates still needed.
    The worry is that someone will buy the coin just to try to re-sell it, at a profit, to them.
    In a sense, bidding against yourself for a coin.
    I can understand that.
    But when you have basically a perfect set?
    Of course if there are no pictures to go with that set there's very little mystery to what in there.

I love to see top registries that have LOTS of coins in there & check out how many coins are pop.1 or 2.....
    Like This One! image
  • Options
    Pretty much my point ajia!

IMHO, Presidential Dollar Coin prices, at this point in time are a house of cards. Many that were getting hundreds of dollars as little as a year ago, now fetch no where near those amounts simply because populations are breeding! Varieties are soaring and many folks are finding those "hard to find" coins!

I was under the impression that the purpose behind the Registry Program was to showoff your sets and the coins within them, thereby giving fellow collectors a goal to shoot for, not just to be Number One!

This philosophy of "hiding" your set but not your position is simply "competition" to be in first place.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Lee,

The best reason of all to not have your own set published....You personally don't have to look at it everyday online !

• Options
    Thanks for "coming out" Jim!

Now if others would follow suit, perhaps we could see what folks are actually collecting?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    I have seen some new coins being added to the Presidential Dollar Sets.
    We are at ....(Just 2007 & 2008 Coins!!)
    110 coins for the Complete Set
    55 coins for the First Day Issue - Complete set
    73 coins for the Major Set
    38 coins for the First Day Issue - Major set

I helped the sets along a little this year as well. :-}

These sets are getting BIG !!