Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting "boot" token

savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭
recently i ran across this token on ebay:

the seller did not have much information to offer about the token other than what was obvious from the coin itself.......Who was Joseph Krakar and what did he have to do with boots?? cowboy maybe??

a cursory internet search turned this up Link Article is Marcus Krakar but a brother, Joseph was a business partner

a few things are interesting, to me at least.......the article mentions the spelling of the last name changing from Krakar to Kraker and the token itself has an obvious A engraved over E (an engraver's error no doubt)

also, the token is fairly unique in that the lettering is engraved but the boot design seems to be counterstamped

as a side note, the gentleman who supplied that page; John William Schuck gives an email address at the bottom of the page......it appears he is a descendent of the Krakars and i contacted Mr. Schuck prior to the auction closing to alert him of the token (in disclosure i never got a return email but part of me wonders if he was the eventual high bidder)

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Wow pretty neat token and story. I hope that the family member was the high bidder.
  • Options
    Many token of this type, and "love tokens" were carved from genuine coins, from cents to Gold.
    What size is this one? Can you post the other side of this token.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭
    it was on a seated dime

here's the link click me

www.brunkauctions.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file