Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found an interesting error Franklin. What do you think?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently looked through a group of coins that had been set aside by a relative. In it was a 1958 Franklin in either high AU or MS condition. It has a lamination on the obverse.

The lamination is about 1/4" long and is located on Franklin's brow and eye area (starting in the portion of the brow closest to the rim and extending towards the center of the coin down through the brow into the eye area). The crack created by the lamination is jagged in appearance. The crack created by the lamination is not perpendicular to the obverse surface of the coin. If the coin was laying on a table, reverse side down and obverse side up and you stuck a needle into the crack created by the lamination, the needle would probably be at a 15 degree angle relative to the table top. The lamination has not started to peel back leading to a flaking of a portion of the metal off of the coin. At this time it is just a crack.

I have never seen a lamination like this. Most laminations I have seen are more than just a jagged line creating a small crack. Many are so pronounced that either a piece of metal has flaked off the coin or is about to flake of of the coin.

Have any of you seen a lamination like this?

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file