Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many "Strong hands" are not as strong as they used to be?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
If I sold out my collection, I would not receive a large enough amount of money to make it worthwhile for me to sell (though I have disposed of some junk recently).

In that respect my coins are, I guess, in strong hands.

What about you? Do you find your hands are not as strong as they were last year?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not as strong.

Not as willing to buy either, as I feel the market is fully priced or overpriced at current levels.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hands are strong enough, and I realize that I would have to be crazy to loosen them up anytime soon. I'm not about to sell my coins at current levels, or anything resembling a loss. That said, were I offered a fair value for any of my coins, I would be hard pressed to turn it down. Cash is a precious commodity these days.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never sold a coin in over 40 years of collecting. While would I start now during a downturn in prices?
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Depends on the coins and how many sellers are out there with similar material. There are always buyers and particularly for the best and rarest stuff. This is an exceptionally bad market for common widgets. Reasonable (by price) liquidity is impossible to delineate, at least for me, right now. I know that if some really important material came to market it might actually benefit from the current situation as a lot of cash that had previously been spent more frivolously has been sidelined and is available. People, dealers and collectors, are typically very selective right now. Yes, some are completely out as far as buying is concerned....but not all are.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never sold a coin in over 40 years of collecting. >>

That is an amazing statement! You are a true collector. May I ask how many pieces you
    have amassed in that time?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive sold a bare few...but that $ went right back into other coins, so does that count?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ever I hear the term Strong Hands I always think of John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men...

Curly wears a glove of vaseline to keep his hand soft for his coins.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>When ever I hear the term Strong Hands I always think of John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men...

Curly wears a glove of vaseline to keep his hand soft for his coins. >>

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I recently sold, so my hands are weak.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I think this is a horrible policy. You get quite an education by selling. image
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    My hands got a little weaker when I contracted spring fever and moved some focus to my other hobby - classic cars
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> You get quite an education by selling

I agree. I've sold a bit and cleaned house in the past few years. Selling has been a real eye opener. Some good, some bad, all info I needed to know. My hands now are strong but I could change directions without too much wind blowing. I can't say keeping the collection intact is my absolute #1 priority.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Honestly, I think this is a horrible policy. You get quite an education by selling. image >>

I understand what you mean TDN, but I wouldn't call it a "horrible policy" for everyone. I think OKBustchaser has a very good handle on what he's doing. And what he's doing is his way. Besides the fact that he knows what he's doing in his series of interest.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    My hands are strong.......

It's my mind that's weak.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My hands are strong.......

It's my mind that's weak.image >>

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    My collection is in strong hands, no interest in selling and still picking up a piece every now and then...maybe even tonight. --Jerry
  • Options
    I'm overbought; I'll be selling some- win lose, or draw ---

buying at good prices, for a collector- is often buying at bad prices for a trader.

anticipate v. l. profit, if any- on many coins I'm about to sell over the next few weeks. (some are coins that "bother' me, for any number of reasons. they're as good as gone, profit or not)
    WILL WORK FOR CENTS, QUARTERS, HALVES, DOLLARS....

1879-O{Rev}: 1st coin of my "secret set"
    imagemy eBay
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>

Honestly, I think this is a horrible policy. You get quite an education by selling. image >>

....unless of course you have acquired all of your coins through the safe venue of cable TV.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Do I have dogs in my collection which aren't worth (at least to someone else) what I paid for them? Absolutely. the difference is that I knew that when I bought most of them. Admittedly, many don't learn that until they try to sell them.

Honestly, I think it would be a horrible policy too if I were interested in what the market thinks about my coins. I'm not, though. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks any particular coin from my collection is worth. I bought them with disposable entertainment dollars. The average coin that I buy costs no more than another person might use to take a companion to a nice dinner and a concert/play a couple of times a month. The highest priced coins that I own cost less than what someone else might blow on a weekend in Vegas. As far as I am concerned the money I spend on coins is just as gone as the money those other people spent on their passtimes.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if one doesn't want to part with any of one's coins, it's still an educational process to attempt to at least get offers on them.
  • Options
    <<anticipate v. l. profit, if any- on many coins I'm about to sell over the next few weeks. (some are coins that "bother' me, for any number of reasons. they're as good as gone, profit or not) >>

Remind me to not bid on any of your coins image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file