Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1938 Lincoln cent proof... Never seen one like this before?

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found an interesting proof Lincoln cent on one of my hunts. Just thought I would share it with my favorite numismatic community. So what do ya think of this one?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    I can't tell in the pics, but the color is what you're referring to correct?

It looks like a PR63RB from what I can see.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a crack coming off of the chin?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>I can't tell in the pics, but the color is what you're referring to correct?

It looks like a PR63RB from what I can see. >>

There is something missing on this coin, can you see it??
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the missing lower relief on the bust?

Might have been polished off the die.

Ed
  • Options

<< <i>Do you mean the missing lower relief on the bust?

Might have been polished off the die.

image >>

Yes Grumpyed you see it also! The details in Lincoln coat , just obove the date are very weak. For a proof coin I thought it was strange. Good eye!!
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    The polished off area of Lincoln's coat is actually very common on Proof coins from this era.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here

I kinda like this one better
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

<< <i>The polished off area of Lincoln's coat is actually very common on Proof coins from this era.

-Paul >>

New to me! I checked all of my books and can't find any mention of this weakness for this or any other date for proofs lincolns?
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a little cam on that rascal.

Ws
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file