Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

smooth edge 2009 native american buck discovered

tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
..........2009 native american buck discovered with plain edge. NN reported an edgeless buck coin submitted to PCGS. may 5 issue of the magazine. image
"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    The world is saved. image
  • Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    While these errors were once exciting to me, they are starting to feel like expected die errors, in the same line as cuds and breaks. I would take a dropped letter over a godless.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin World reported this in the March 16th Issue which probably accounts for all the quick sell outs on NA Direct Ship Dollars as thats what the coin was pulled from.

I thought you folks all knew this already?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    .......image.....How about an Eagle Reverse...!!!..Now that would be News..!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Also, the discovery has been noted on the PCGS home page for weeks...Old hat... image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Smooth edge $1 aren't even errors anymore they are expected. If the mint had decent quality control and a few got out they would be errors, but when the mint just doesn't give a a s*@t and pumps out thousands of them it's not an error it's a variety.
  • Options
    Well, if for some reason this doesn't become a common error like most of us assume it will be, it should carry a premium if the mintage figured for the Denver 2009 N.A. stay close to what they currently are (0.70 M - Source). Then again, the mint could pump out millions the last few months. Who knows...
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Smooth edge $1 aren't even errors anymore they are expected. If the mint had decent quality control and a few got out they would be errors, but when the mint just doesn't give a a s*@t and pumps out thousands of them it's not an error it's a variety. >>

HUH? Show me where to get thousands of any president since Jefferson? Show me where to get even a single example of the last few presidents. The mint has taken this seriously and severely limited the occurrence of this error. Broken dies, cuds, DDOs, strike thrus are also expected at some low frequency. Does that make them any less of an error?

I have had buyers of Washington Smoothies call me up wanting smooth edged later presidents and they were very disappointed when I told them they weren't available--they wanted to collect the entire series in smooth edge.

The missing edge lettering is still a cool and desirable error.

--Jerry
  • Options
    << Smooth edge $1 aren't even errors anymore they are expected. If the mint had decent quality control and a few got out they would be errors, but when the mint just doesn't give a a s*@t and pumps out thousands of them it's not an error it's a variety.>>

I beg to differ. While they are expected errors now, that DOES NOT make them varieties. Are there not thousands of 55 ddo's out there? Or any of the many clipped planchets cents, or broadstruck coins? Which some years produced alot more than other years? Just because there is a large amount of these errors, doesnt make them an intention design change...

Or am I the only one that thinks that?
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.......come on, lee, did you think EVERYONE reads coin world?image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file