Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any good copper guys with websites? Looking for 1844 Large Cent.

Why are PCGS or NGC certified 1844 Large Cents so difficult to locate (or am I just looking in the wrong places). They had the highest mintage of 1844 coins but I can not find any on eBay, Heritage, Teletrade or any other online dealer that I've checked out.

Here's the mintage numbers of 1844 non-gold coins:

1844 1c - 2,398,752
1844 H10c - 430,000
1844-O H10c - 220,000
1844 10c - 72,500
1844 25c - 421,200
1844-O 25c - 740,000
1844 50c - 1,766,000
1844-O 50c - 2,005,000
1844 $1 - 20,000

Millertime

Comments

• Options
    The pops are low and there doesn't seem to be much demand for them. ~7 have been sold by heritage in the last year mostly in AU for a little over $200. Depending on what grade you are looking for, you'd have better luck buying one raw.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    At the Santa Clara show there was a dealer specializing in large cents, I believe he had a handful. There were all raw but they looked decent.
  • Options

<< <i>At the Santa Clara show there was a dealer specializing in large cents, I believe he had a handful. There were all raw but they looked decent. >>

Those large/half cent guys love their raw coins; I assume it is a results from their more stringent grading standards and the ability to better examine their coins for complicated varieties.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Certified ones are hard to locate:
    First, all the early 1840's have gotten somewhat difficult to fiind, it seems to me particularly so in the last year
    Second- copper guys do not need PCGS or NGC to tell them when they are decent - they are still raw.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    Are there any good copper guys with decent websites?

Thanks,
    Millertime
  • Options
    Millertime --
  • Options
    MT - hit wrong button

Early Copper --
    Tom Reynolds
    Chris McCawlety
    Shawn Yancey

Indians --
    Eagle Eye

The ones I go to frequently
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MT - hit wrong button

Early Copper --
    Tom Reynolds
    Chris McCawlety
    Shawn Yancey >>

I knew about CVM and Tom Reynolds as among the cream of the crop in the early copper area, but in the spirit of most early copper enthusiasts and EAC types, most of the inventory is raw. So if the OP wants a slabbed coin, he may have to make a suitable one himself.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>MT - hit wrong button

Early Copper --
    Tom Reynolds
    Chris McCawlety
    Shawn Yancey >>

I knew about CVM and Tom Reynolds as among the cream of the crop in the early copper area, but in the spirit of most early copper enthusiasts and EAC types, most of the inventory is raw. So if the OP wants a slabbed coin, he may have to make a suitable one himself. >>

I agree with the comment that I'll have to make one myself since PCGS has only graded a total of (12) in VF35 to AU50.

I did find the websites for Tom, Chris and Shawn and they have a combined total of (2) 1844 Large Cents which still seems surprisingly low.

Millertime

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file