Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

'64 topps football - OK, I'm in

I had been debating about starting this set and I appreciate the comments a few weeks ago in gathering input. Anyway, I have decided to make this a long term project and if anybody has singles/groups of 8's available to let me know. Not looking to spend alot $$$ at once though (ie Mosh set) image

I have seen the ones on ebay and have done a couple small deals but still need almost everything but am going to try to hold to PSA 8's.

Thanks

Jack

Comments

• Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Jack, I have some dups available for trade, in this thread. I'll make even trades for cards I don't have in my inventory.

I like the set: a couple of rookie HOFers, some short prints, some centering challenges. To my eyes the stars sometimes make the edges look wavy, kind of a weird effect.

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike - I have taken a quick look at your 64's for sale - lots to choose from for sure.

I'll stay in touch,

J
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just stay away from the last two Chargers cards I need to finish my set!

Steve
  • Options
    OK Steve - I actually took a look and was surprised that the 64 Chargers set collectors are more than just the usual 1-2 people. Just curious - with the lo pops and all, how long has it taken for you to get to this point ?

Thanks
    J
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the 1964s. You'll like it here. image
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK Steve - I actually took a look and was surprised that the 64 Chargers set collectors are more than just the usual 1-2 people. Just curious - with the lo pops and all, how long has it taken for you to get to this point ?

Thanks
    J >>

It's taken almost 7 years to get all but the last two Chargers in PSA 8. I've bought all of them already graded on ebay. The most recent two (Rogers and Schmidt) just came last week. Prior to these two, I think the last one I got was over a year ago. The first one I got was the PSA 9 John Hadl way back in May 2002.

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks - well good thing I am thinking way long term on this.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the Billy Cannon went for $202.00 the other day in an 8. I was considering upgrading my 7, but that price tag was about what the rookie goes for in an 8, so I passed.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    hey Mike, so you are in the 64s too ? or just the LSU key players ?

J
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hey Mike, so you are in the 64s too ? or just the LSU key players ?

J >>

really only would want Cannon, Robinson and the Mickey Slaughter rookie.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    I love the design of the 64 Topps, I just wish Topps had the contract in that year to use both the NFL and AFL Players.

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Mark,
    That's a cool AFL version of Jim Brown. I too would have liked to have a seen a '64 Topps set with the NFL players included. In addition to the Phily's.

I started this '64 set too within the past 6-8 months. I had some of the stars already in PSA 8, and ended up buying two nice raw card groupings at our local card show last fall. So I got hooked on it.

Typically I won't start a set unless I get a good solid 20% chunk to begin on that set.

After less than eight month's I'm at exactly 50% complete in all 8's with a few 8.5's. Although I still need many of the SP's and tougher cards in the set, I do at least have the major rookies plus Maynard, Alworth, Dawson, and Otto already.

Like you Jack, I'm looking at this set as a long term project. I doubt I'll go after any of the few 9's that pop up on ebay as I'm fine with 8's. I might even go after a few 7's on cards like # Addison, and the last checklist. I can't bring myself to paying $400 for Addison in a PSA 8.

It should be a fun build over the next several years. My goal is to complete the set in a five year window with a gpa at 8.00.

Nearmint Mike and Wolfbear are the two experts on this set, so that's good to know we have them here to rely on for inside info on certain cards in the set.

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jack,

This is a great looking set. Good luck on your journey.
    I have an extra Grayson for $15 delivered. SOLD

Tom

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Looks like some new blood has joined the fray :

$ 890 for a pop 3 PSA 9 image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Once that MOSH set starts getting broken up - the 5 or 6 PSA 10s will find a new home from a few of you guys no doubt. I'll be happy with maybe a few 9's along the way.

Maybe it's time for the 64s to have their own thread.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

J
  • Options
    Anybody got a nice nm or better Jim Dunaway for sale?
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.