Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which set to do next?

I've now done the '61, '64, and '65 Topps sets in average NM condition, some better/ a few worse. I'll probably start another one shortly and would like to know which one to pick. I've always loved the '59 set so I may try that one. I'm basically looking to do it in the same overall condition as the others. The other sets I've done have also contained graded and ungraded cards. I try to get a majority of the stars in graded condition depending on what deals I can get. I also buy many lots of good conditioned cards and pick the best and sell the ones I don't need in repackaged lots. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    I've always been a fan of 58 topps. I'm currently working on 62 topps and hope to finish it within the next few months.
  • Options
    1967 Topps would be in keeping with your overall theme thus far.
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Why don't you stay in the 60's and try the 67 set? I think it's the best looking set of the decade, and it shouldn't be too hard to find NM cards to match the rest of your sets. The high numbers might be a little tough to get though.

Good luck with whatever year you choose!
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    I've attempted the 1963 Fleer set twice, one time graded and the other NM or better raw. Fun chllenge on a small set mainly because it is hard to find the checklist in NRMT or better condition. Plus it is mostly HOF'ers.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Ever considered 89 Score?
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    82 Topps KMart is a winner in my book.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    as much as I love '89 Score and '82 Kmart, I don't think my budget will allow it.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    67 and 68 at the same time. Why at the same time? I think 68s are quite affordable so it should fit in that budget image One can finish a 68 set quite quickly. The 67s may be a bit more of a journey due to the high numbers.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Tom,

1st of all, congrats on your completed sets .... especially the '65, one of my faves.

Sounds like your passion is leading you to the '59 set, which can be a rather enjoyable set to complete. Besides having three Mantles, four Mays and four Aarons (excluding Team Cards), the set also has a nice variety of other HOFers, stars and commons.

I think the only major rookie card of the '59 set is Bob Gibson, but also contains Sparky Anderson, Felipe Alou, Ford Frick, Norm Cash and maybe a couple others. This will certainly hold the price down a bit for you.

It's a large set, but NM commons can be purchased in large lots for under $10 per card.

As you know, part of the fun of completing sets is the time it takes to do it, so take your time and enjoy!

Good luck on whatever set you decide to tackle next image

PoppaJ

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Nice job on completing your sets. Share some pictures if you are get a chance. My vote is for 69 Topps. There is enough star power and has some nice looking 2nd years cards of Ryan and Bench. Also, the first card of Reggie and the last of the Mick. I had a lot of fun putting it together. You will find the 2nd series is the toughest, but overall it is fairly easy to acquire nice cards.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Good job on getting these sets done. I'm a fan of 64's you should post some scans for us!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    68's are ugly. You dont want to be queasy whilst assembling the set, so I would suggest 67's which are colorful and pleasing to the eye.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see some 65's.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    I'd go 63 Topps or anything 50's. The mid to late 60's sets are so vanilla (i.e. boring/plain). I used to like the '59s more than '58 but they seem so abundant I would go with the '58 at this point. The '62 Topps is too close to the awesome '55 Bowman wood-grain concept. 60 is nice but is overrated and is a horizontal copycat of '54. I think 66/67 are an abomination 68 looks like a picnic table cloth, and 69 is devoid of any creativity although the white letter variations are a cool thing to collect.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the challenge of trying to find well centered cards, plus the variations and the beauty of the cards, for me it's tough to beat 62 Topps.

But I never met a 50's, 60's, or 70's Topps card I didn't like. image
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    1977 Topps Star Wars !
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1967 Topps would be in keeping with your overall theme thus far. >>

I agree with the '67's.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>68's are ugly. You dont want to be queasy whilst assembling the set, so I would suggest 67's which are colorful and pleasing to the eye. >>

you know what they say, "there's a seat for every saddle" and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" image

rd

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    credits: bobsbbcards set registry photos
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    59 or 60 would be great and they seem to have become more affordable lately.
    IMHO the 67 and 68 sets are the ugliest ever produced.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax