Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Major Problem with how PSA Grades Sportscaster Cards...

I have been building a comprehensive Mike Bossy master set for some time now and ran into a Sportscaster card of him. I originally intended to purchased several of these cards and submit a few of the ones that were in the best condition, but I have noticed that there are a few variations to these cards, one in particular is that there are several noted printings of each, for example one of my cards is a 1st printing, a couple are 2nd printings, and another is a 3rd. I have since found out that each card had a three print run.

I called PSA the other day and asked how I should submit these cards as I was sure that the PSA slab would designate the printing as the printing obviously should reflect the value of each card, but when I spoke to the lady at PSA she had no clue what I was talking about, seemed surprised, and said that they will have to investigate the matter.

I understand that some of these Sportscaster cards are worth a lot of money, especially the Gretzky, and I believe that each of the three printings should be designated on the PSA slab. I intend on purchasing a Gretzky Sportscaster card in the future. To me it is important to have the first printing and I would obviously pay more for it than a second or third printing. What do you all think about this Sportscaster problem?

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    The pee is already in the pool now. I imagine that it is too late to change anything, too many already graded.

They don't make any notations on the 89 UD Griffey which was re-printed in mass quantities and sold out the back door at UD.

What are the differences in the print runs on the Bossy's? Are they so minor that you have to have all 3 in hand to notice? Scan them and point out the differences if possible.
  • Options
    Here's the 3 backs for Rose notice the copyright line pretty sure that is consistent across the board. But in the SCD description says The cards were also sold in several European countries and can be found with backs printed in French, Swedish and other languages. I have never seen those but would like to if anyone has those.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It's a problem for you -- but not for the collecting community.

There are many "variations" that PSA does not specifically endorse.

1987 Sportflics cards come with both 1986 and 1987 copyrights on the reverse. Either variation is worth the same.

Just because it is a variation does not mean it is a) desirable to the masses and b) PSA sees any need to document the "variation"

Are the Sportcaster printings recognized in such in any of the hobby annals? How do you delineate between a first, second and third printing?

Coming from an obsessive collector -- believe me when I say that just because you have a passion about some nuance of the hobby does not mean that it is widely shared by more than one or two others.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    This surprises you? The people who work at PSA don't know or have much interest in our passion for cards.
    I for one am glad I surely don't want to send my cards to someone who wants them for themselves.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    There are so many known and unknown/unpublicized variations with Sportscaster cards that it would be a nightmare trying to correctly identify them all on the label. All PSA needs to do for these is make sure that Mike Bossy makes it on the label and if anybody wants to collect all the different variations they can go right ahead. It just won't be on the labels and would probably have a good chance of being wrong if it was.