Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Die Crack Lincolns.

is there a book that covers them like Morgans with VAMs. ( noticing every blemish).

If not would it be worth my catagorizing these die cracks and organize them into a book or site where you could look up your variation of die crack . ( maybe havea JP guide ?

I know (so far i notice) Die cracks on Lincolns arent worth anything and arent special . But what do you think?
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the lincolns, but I have the same question regarding Jefferson nickels.
    Thanks in advance for any reference.
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

There is no books that specializes in die cracks simply because their too common and varied. There is a small amount of buyers that buy them (if significant enough or on a key date) but not enough to make a large market. A progressive die crack series would increase interest in a sale but not a book. The cost to produce a book would not be worthwhile, a site would just be for personal enjoyment of sharing. A community website posting their die crack within a specific year/mintmark would be interesting though.

The Nickel is basically the same but I see more die deterioration than cracks on this series. Possibly because the nickel is a harder material than the Lincoln. (this is just a personal observation). I look mainly at Lincolns, I don't even know the metal composition of the nickel.

This is just my opinion,
    Lestrrr
  • Options
    hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    I have to admit I pull every one I come across and have quite a few rolls of them. My hope is to someday do just what you have mentioned and put together a guide of some sort for anyone crazy enough like me to want to collect these, but as mentioned in an earlier post, there are simply thousands of them to sort through.
    I just think it would be neat to have a guide showing a given year's cent die crack progression from the earliest stages to whatever end it comes to, a cud or otherwise. I can only imagine the time it would take to sort through enough to create a guide, photograph them and then do the write-ups for each date would be overwhelming. Being able to put some rarity or value to them by having a reference book could create a whole new way of collecting these.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file