Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964D Quarter Type ?

Kinda looks Type B to me but I have bad luck trying to identify any coin.

Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    First off, thank you for taking worse pictures than meimage and i'll take a stab at saying no, thats not a type B.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    image I tried my best on the pictures.

Which Type do you think it is? Im voting B only cause I have been unable to cherry pick anything of actual rarity.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I hear ya, I stink at coin photography. From what I can tell from the pics your E and S are not seperated enough for a type B. Maybe Boom or another Washie expert can chime in. image Speaking of Boom, at seen him around for a while???
  • Options
    Not a Type 'B'.....it's either 'A' or 'C', and due to the images, which, I have to say, aren't good enough for me to venture a guess between 'A' and 'C', all I can do is post this image...perhaps it will help the OP to determine it......as you can see, its definitely NOT Type 'B'....THIS thread could also help. The leaf over the 'A' in 'Dollar' can't be seen to determine if it's strong enough. On this variety, the spacing between the 'E' and 'S' in 'STATES' isn't enough of a marker....that's the big marker on the '56-'64 P Type 'B's'.

edited to add....looks like a Type 'A' to me, but again, better images are needed. Sorry, not ragging on your images, but, not good enough to tell for sure.
  • Options
    docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Not a "C", so it is definitely a regular old type "A"
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are type B's only found in proofs?

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a regular old 64D to me (type A rev).
  • Options
    <<Are type B's only found in proofs?>>

They are also found on a comparitively few circulation strikes of 1956 thru 1964 and 1969 D thru 1972 D.
  • Options
    That picture is clear enough to rule out types B and C.
    The leaves are not sharp enough for C. The X band arround the arrows and between the eagle's claws has an incuse line to its right. That does not appear on a C.
    No silver B's have a Denver mintmark.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the common type a reverse. It is definately not a type c, or otherwise the tail feathers would be more highly detailed. The type c reverse looks like the reverse of a business strike 1965 quarter. If it were a type b reverse the e and s in states would be separated and not touching. Just compare it to a pre 64 proof. I don't think that anyone has found a type b reverse for the D mints from 1956-64 yet. There is only speculation according to Fivaz and Stanton that there are any that exist. I hope that this helps your searching. image
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Proud to be an American.
  • Options
    A Reverse C Hub

Proud to be an American.
  • Options
    <<The type c reverse looks like the reverse of a business strike 1965 quarter.>>

True. But there are a couple of minor differences compared to most 1965 quarters. The 1964 D C exactly
    matches the very earliest 1965 quarters which make up only about 5% of the 1965's.

The inside edge of the eagle's right wing (viewer's left) towards where it joins the body is very distinctly outlined. On most 1965 thru 1967 quarters it is not a distinct edge but just fades into the field. Later versions have a distinct edge again. 1967-1969 is a transition period for this as you can find them both ways.

E PLURIBUS UNUM is in lower relief with fatter letters. But this struck up well on the softer silver issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file