Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have to ask....is the Miles Standish on our "fearless leaders" page related to the Pilgr

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is he a direct relation, and is he the "tenth" or something?

Comments

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    He just looks young; he is actually a grandson!!!

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    thread revival

was it ever determined that he was a relative??

this is currently on the bay -- Myles or Miles??

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I am dense or something, but WTF is this about?
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Miles Standish is one of PCGS's Board of Experts Link --scroll 3/4 of the way down the page

There was also a Miles Standish who was an early American settler, do a Wiki lookup

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miles ain't his real name. He was Mike when we hired him at ANACS, but the release papers from the insane asylum said to humour him and call him "Miles."

We tried using "Kilometers Standish" for a while, but it didn't take.....

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny thread. image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We tried using "Kilometers Standish" for a while, but it didn't take. >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Anybody else care to admit they are a Mayflower descendant?
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Miles ain't his real name. He was Mike when we hired him at ANACS, but the release papers from the insane asylum said to humour him and call him "Miles."

image >>

The story I heard is that on his first day at ANACS, Michael J. Standish made the request "don't
    call me Miles." He has been known exclusively as "Miles" ever since, proving just how contrary
    people really are. It doesn't seem to have hurt him professionally.

As far as being related to the Pilgrim, don't think so, but feel free to ask him.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody else care to admit they are a Mayflower descendant? >>

...they once moved me to another house. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Miles ain't his real name. He was Mike when we hired him at ANACS, but the release papers from the insane asylum said to humour him and call him "Miles."

image >>

The story I heard is that on his first day at ANACS, Michael J. Standish made the request "don't
    call me Miles." He has been known exclusively as "Miles" ever since, proving just how contrary
    people really are. It doesn't seem to have hurt him professionally.

As far as being related to the Pilgrim, don't think so, but feel free to ask him. >>

A base canary, er, canard!
    He begged us to call him "Miles."
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

My wife and I discovered we're 12th cousins, both descended from the same Mayflower family.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies where Jed found he was and Mrs drysdale was p***ed
  • Options

I think great-great-great-great-grandma was a "Bekins."

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread reminded me of a bumper sticker on the back of a young man's pickup truck. It said "This may not be the Mayflower, but your daughter came across in it". Having a daughter, I wasn't that amused at the time. Shag
  • Options
    <<<< Anybody else care to admit they are a Mayflower descendant? >>

My wife and I discovered we're 12th cousins, both descended from the same Mayflower family. >>

My wife and I are 7th cousins 3 times removed because of Thomas Rogers of the Mayflower.
    I am my own double 8th cousin because of two lines to John Alden.

• Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I'm a decedent of two of the three men on the Albany classic commem. That's why I was hacked at not buying the pop 1 MS 68 when I had the chance twice in the last five years. The first time, I was busy upgrading a number of my original coins and didn't want to put so much of my budget into one upgrade. The second time, I didn't know it was available until it was too late.

Next time....
  • Options
    A Mayflower settler named Thomas Rogers is my 14th great grandfather.

That and $40,000 will get you a 1909 VDB proof cent in 65 RB.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I am most definitely not descended from anyone who came to Plimouth on the Mayflower. My first rellies didn't make it to these shores until sometime in the mid-1700s as far as we can determine. Many records were destroyed during the Civil War when Union soldiers would burn courthouses in Confederate states. Also, there is some speculation that one ancestor moved from Virginia to Kentucky to escape being hung, changed his name, and we don't know his original name.

(My most recent ancestral arrival was in 1923.)
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    <<A Mayflower settler named Thomas Rogers is my 14th great grandfather.

That and $40,000 will get you a 1909 VDB proof cent in 65 RB.>>

Worse than that, you get my wife and me for very distant cousins.
  • Options
    One of my ancestors watched the Mayflower landing and said
    "Well, there goes the neighborhood!"

• Options
    My favorite story (true) is the Indian that came out of the woods and said "Welcome Englishmen, do you have any beer?" and he got it.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

My wife and I discovered we're 12th cousins, both descended from the same Mayflower family. >>

Oh, don't feel bad about that.

Down here in Gawga if they ain't yer sister or yer mama they're fair game ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Who do you expect us to marry? Strangers?!
  • Options
    Who did Adam and Eve's kids marry???
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>is the Miles Standish on our "fearless leaders" page related to the Pilgrim? >>

I don't know, but I wonder if the "Ron Howard" on our "fearless......... nevermind image
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who did Adam and Eve's kids marry??? >>

Each other. Unless there were space aliens involved.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    My great-great-great Uncle J.G. Wentworth offered to buy out Standish’s structured settlement, a lucrative one that he had received from the founders of Plymouth in 1620. Wentworth’s relentless efforts to obtain this settlement kept Standish at arms length, but was able to dodge Wentworth when he finally moved to Detroit.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Miles looks to be closely related to Jim Carrey as well.image
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji