Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan error - variety pros.... what is going on with this 1921? Large Pics..

tincuptincup Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a 1921 Morgan that I picked up this weekend, but I'm not sure what is going on with this coin. I've included some photos....

1. It starts out as a die crack below the '21' in the date, runs through the date, runs through 4+ of the stars, then shows as a die crack on the right hand side of the coin.

2. There are raised areas in each of the stars and in between several of the stars, it looks like a 'cord'? or something was struck through... with an unusual pattern.

3. Above and through some of the stars, there is a pronounced raised 'ridge' running along the same area. This reminds me of a mountain ridge.... the ridge is fairly sharp along several of the stars.

So give me your opinion on what took place with the coin. One guess of mine is that a severe die crack occurred, which the US Mint employees attempted to repair by grinding it out, which resulted in a deep ridge running along the coin. Some of the stars might have then needed to be repunched, which may account for some of the odd ridges found on them? But then I don't have any idea about the 'cord' or whatever appears to have been struck through.....

Shot at 2009-04-27

Shot at 2009-04-27

Shot at 2009-04-27
----- kj

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure about that one....Looks very interesting. Perhaps the raised area is the result of some bubbles or something underneath the top layer of metal? Or maybe it's simply die damage...

-Paul
  • Options
    erroiderroid Posts: 795
    Except for the rim, it looks like lamination issues; the rim has a small peel.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeh, I thought perhaps entrained gas also, but not sure if that would result in the sharper crease along the top of the raised area.

The small peel on the rim would tend to support the lamination and the entrained gas scenario..... but still not sure about the impressed 'cord' design or whatever that is. Perhaps it is a totally separate issue.
    ----- kj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file