Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you negotiating deals on raw coins now that PCGS is doing the Geniuine thing?

I have been pm-ing with a couple of forum members who are buying raw stuff from dealers who are agreeing to take the coin back if it does not get a grade at PCGS. Is this what dealers are going to be expected to do across the board on raw coins now? Should it be? Will this change how dealers price raw stuff? Watcha think?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter to me. I don't generally buy raw coins with the hope of putting them in plastic. If I want plastic I'll buy a coin already slabbed.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it should be a requirement. Afterall, both are just an opinion. The dealer's opinion is that the coin is problem free. PCGS' opinion is that the coin has a problem. The purchaser obviously liked the coin enough to buy it. Most of my coins are raw, however, I will submitt coins on occasion if I plan on selling them, when I think the plastic will add enough value to the coin to offset the submission and shipping fees.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Should it be? >>

Absolutely not.

If you want a slabbed coin, buy a slabbed coin. Otherwise be willing to take the gamble.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask for the guarantee. If the dealer refuses, there is probably a reason and you should find a new dealer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a 1850 seated dollar raw from an excessively prominent dealer.

Personally I graded it AU but I was little concerned about the surfaces.

As I was negotiating, the only stipulation I made was that I wanted the coin to be graded by pcgs.

It did not matter to me what they would grade it but I did not want it to come back bodybagged. ( this was before genuine slabs)

Indeed, it did come back bodybagged from pcgs and I promptly sent it back to the dealer for a full refund which I received.

So I say if you have doubts about a coin ask for that as part of the guarantee of your purchase.

You should not ask as to a guarantee for a specific grade....only that it grades something other than genuine.

If a dealer refuses this request, I would pass on the purchase of the coin.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly why is this any different than the days of the body bag?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    It is up to the buyer and the dealer. Any agreeable (legal) condition of the sale should be fine so long as both agree. However, a dealer should not be held in suspicion if he doesn't want the deal with the condition and a buyer should not be looked at as difficult for asking. If you can't agree on terms, then move on but no grudges should be held for discussing the terms. --Jerry
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Exactly why is this any different than the days of the body bag? >>

It isn't different.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file