Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mike Bernosky cracks me up.

From his letter in Coin World:

"Why pay so much for cents?

Am I reading this right? Derek Utley wrote in the March 30th issue of Coin World that someone paid $1,338.13 for 50 rolls of the new Lincoln cents. That's more than 53 cents for each cent.

The buyer cannot possibly be a coin collector. How does this person ever expect to get his or her money back, unless he/she sends them all to be graded and they come back MS-68 or better? Then you have the grading fees.

I also see in the March 30th issue that the Mint established a price of $8.95 plus $4.95 shipping and handling for two rolls (one roll from the Denver Mint and one roll from the Philadelphia Mint). that's 13.9 cents per cent. I can't even get that for a Mint State common date Wheat cents, and they are more than 50 years old.

This collector, for one, is going back to old coins!"

No, Mr. Bernosky, I'd suggest that these people are indeed collectors and not investors or wannabe dealers.
imageRIP

Comments

• Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307
    I agree with Mike Bernosky. Why would a collector need more than 1 nice coin. To buy 50 rolls at the stated price is foolish, unless they think they can find something exceptional.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, Mr. Bernosky, I'd suggest that these people are indeed speculators and not investors or wannabe dealers. >>

fixed that for yaimage
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...........it's very appealing to the 'flippers' on the bay.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file