Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEW COLLECTORS' POLL: have you found a direction, or strategy?

NEW COLLECTORS' POLL: have you found a direction, or strategy?

We'll define "new collectors" any way you like. If you've had 600 posts here, own a six-figure collection, or have written books or guides- you're not new! but still welcomed to weigh in!
WILL WORK FOR CENTS, QUARTERS, HALVES, DOLLARS....

1879-O{Rev}: 1st coin of my "secret set"
imagemy eBay

Comments

• Options
    Shoot, I didn't see your definition of new. Oh well, I still have no idea what I'm collecting after almost a decade. I could pretend I'm building a type set but I'd be kidding myself; I have no intention of ever buying coin I believe is common or ugly.
  • Options
    that's OK!

WANTED TO MAKE SURE THE NEWBIES CAME BY, so you vets could str8n them out.
    Or reassure them.

imagemy eBay
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    I dont know if im new or not ( I feel I am cause ive been gone so long that I need to relearn alot).

I focus on 3 types ( Gold, Large cents and bust half dollars)

But when I go to a store or show I look for them I spend 50% to 75% on my 3 types the other 25 to 50% is on what ever catches my eyes.

This is how I roll.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Well.... I'm Not a newbie... but I tend to focus on building Type sets of "Darkside" Gold.

You never get bored + the feeling of _Accomplishment when a set is _completed, encourages me to look for new potential sets image
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting way back in Feb. 2007, and I started out with modern mint issues, ASE, AGE, & APE. I missed out on and did not attempt the state quarters.
    Then I decided that I liked classic and modern commemorative coins, medals, tokens, and so-called dollars.

I'm trying to focus, but I like them all and I haven't even gotten into the classic US coins.

I'm thinking along the lines of 20th & 21st century dollars and halves; Ike, Susan B, Sacs, Prez, and Kenndy.
    Finish my modern mint & proof sets.
    Jacques Weiner cathedral medals, Lincoln and Washington medals/tokens, and classic commems.
    I'm putting together a set of all the small dollar FDC issues; Susan B, Sacagawea & Presidential.
    I need three Lincoln cents to finish my 1909-Date w/proof only issues. Guess which three?

... 1909-S VDB, 1914-D, 1922 plain D.

Thinking of getting rid of my APE's, Ike dollars (focus on small dollars).
    I do need to focus more, then I can buy higher quality and maybe finish a series. Maybe?

Edit: Mint mark
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Without focus you need unlimited funds and lots of storage space.

After years of jumping around and an over crowed storage cabinet I have sold everything and started focusing on one series that I enjoy a lot. Collection feels much more rewarding now and I can take my time looking for the right coins.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    9 years in I'm still somewhat green. At first I started with circ crap, but as the decade passed, my income greatly increased and my taste for higher quality has evolved I'm just building a non gold type set with the highest grades I can afford. Mostly widgets, but I want one set with that I could have as a nice representitive set of how the coins looked when they rolled off the presses. I plan on doing a second set of the same type, but of keys and rarities. Like instead of a MS CBH the set will have a flowing hair small bird and be around F-VF depending on the best I can afford and a three legged Buf in XF-AU in this set instead of a 1938d MS67 like what's in my other set.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

<< <i>Without focus you need unlimited funds and lots of storage space.

After years of jumping around and an over crowed storage cabinet I have sold everything and started focusing on one series that I enjoy a lot. Collection feels much more rewarding now and I can take my time looking for the right coins. >>

You sound almost apologetic.

I can't see that there's anything wrong with that progression:

look at a lot (and handle some gr8 coins along the way) , then focus on something(s).

imagemy eBay
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Without focus you need unlimited funds and lots of storage space.

After years of jumping around and an over crowed storage cabinet I have sold everything and started focusing on one series that I enjoy a lot. Collection feels much more rewarding now and I can take my time looking for the right coins. >>

My story is similar...but now I feel like I've almost come full circle. I've been focusing on pedigreed colonials and successfully ignoring other coins that I find appealing. I recently came close to straying and almost bought a pedigreed key date Lincoln. Now I'm considering buying a couple of colonials that are eye appealing but have no traceable pedigree.

Staying focused is a good thing...but straying now and then for the right coin is not a bad thing.
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    I collect Barber Halve's and Quarter's in the mid-grade range of VF-25 to XF-40

also trying to fill a Dansco album of V- nickels in the XF grade

And I need 2 coin's to fill my Dancso of AU to MS Washington Quarter's

A thing I've learned is to find the nicest looking coin you can afford...don't buy that "filler" coin

I try to buy a coin that I do not have to upgrade...there are a few exception's,if the price is right on that coin or coin's

Rob
    Rob
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I'm focusing on getting out of debt. not buying much!

except for the three I bought yesterday image

Sometimes the temptation is just to great image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file