Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

FRANCISC-DG-FRANCOR-REX

One of the more interesting finds from last Sunday's detector outing.

Care to take a stab at it?

I already know what it is. Knew the minute I dug it. image

But I thought I'd toss it out here for y'all. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Rob - I don't have a clue about the dig find but I would like to give you kudos for the very nice tribute to Wayne on your post it is well designed and heartfelt.
    Shep
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, Francesco by the grace of God, King of France. So it's French. I cant see enough of the obverse to tell exactly what coin it is though.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    It's a big ole' pile of dirt... oh, and it has some sort of coin thingy sitting on top of it. image
  • Options
    Ok, I give up...you have it labeled as a button? Looks sort of like a type of jeton, but I'd need better pics.

Where do you dig this stuff up? (yes, I'm jealous!image)
  • Options
    Milan 6 soldi, struck in the name of King Francis I of France?

Edited to add: Although that would be a really old coin (16th century?) to have been dug in the eastern U.S.
  • Options

<< <i>that would be a really old coin (16th century?) to have been dug in the eastern U.S. >>

That was my thought, too....could it be a uniform button or something along those lines? Perhaps made from an old coin? Maybe I'm way off...
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Looks a lot like this image

• Options

<< <i>One of the more interesting finds from last Sunday's detector outing. >>

One???

You mean, there's more??? WOW!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to give you kudos for the very nice tribute to Wayne on your post it is well designed and heartfelt. >>

Thank you. It IS heartfelt. When I found out about Wayne, belatedly, it was a real kick in the gut for me. I will really miss him a lot. Somebody I'd never heard of apparently saw my reaction and PM-ed me to call me a "drama queen" and an "ass", presumably in reference to that. As if my grief over Wayne was an act- geez. That was strange.

Anyway... this thing. FilthyBroke saw the title- it is indeed a button. German silver, I believe. It's Victorian, probably circa the latter half of the 19th century (I'm thinking ca. 1880s-1890s, as the house where I found it was built around 1890). It's a two-piece button with a tin or steel back- the back of it is nothing but rust now.

Still, I recognized the name of Francis I of France (1515-1547) straight off, as I once owned an ecu d'or of Francis I. Seeing that pop out of the dirt really amped up the adrenaline for a moment! It even looks a little like a 16th century coin, doesn't it?

But no, it's a Victorian two-piece button.

The remaining unsolved mystery is why a late-19th century button would have the legend and symbol of an early 16th century French king. That one I don't have any answer for. Riddles like this are one reason I love diggin' so much- you never know what's gonna come up.

That crowned salamander is cool. I thought it was a dragon at first.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.