Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin Toners - The 1951-P

RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
I posted the following to the Pugs series on Franklins. For those of you not not going back to Frank's posts, here it is again:

Another supplement to the Pugs series on Franklins focusing on high end toner Franklins.

OK, I am officially declaring the 1951-P as the Rodney Dangerfield of nicely toned Franklins. The 1951-P date doesn't get much attention to begin with. It's not one of the rarer dates, and toning aside, you can find one with a decent strike and moreso you can tend to find them with less hits if you look hard enough. Therefore, higher grades in 65 and 66 are not as difficult to find. Furthermore, there are a decent amount out there that have acceptable toning on them. Typically, the colors are on the beginning side of thin film interference, exhibiting light golds, sometimes amber, ending up with the cobalt blues. Usually though, the 1951 will either exhibit some degree of off luster, or some degree of greyish toning to go along with the colors. So, there are some out there with o.k. lighter color, expecially if you don't mind a bit of a dusky or grey look to it.

Finding a 1951-P with truly great color and luster to go along, however, is a horse of a different color. To borrow from Rodney, 49cents and a bowl of soup won't get you a top end 1951 toner. Such a coin is far harder to find that most realize.

Here's a coin that shows some typical characteristics of a nicely toned 1951-P. It has some yellows and golds and blues, but with just a trace of the greyish tone you many times see. Overall a better than average toner for a 1951:
imageimage

My Dalmation Frankie! This is just an unusual toning pattern. Some may like it, some not, I think it is cool. The colors are advanced for a 1951:
imageimage

Deep amber toning on this coin, you could see this toning pattern exist on a 1949. The reverse gets into the 2nd cylce of toning, a bit unusual for a 1951. Finding a 1951 looking like this is a challenge:
imageimage

A 1951 that is completely 2nd and 3rd cylce toning on the obverse. The toning is very deep and I have seen this on only a handful of 1951-P Franklins. Booming luster. This coin is 'only a 1951-P', but one of my favorites in my collection:
imageimage
Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

Comments

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet Franklin's!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ,............your really killing me ............

I got an ogh 66 I got from Wooten 10 years ago .........or was it 12 ..........,

anyway -it's real clean but lacks color - kinda brownish gold .

the 51 is just as you spell it out - i know i never had one i thought was ultimate .........

i will take any one of the above !

there is one above( the dalmatian ) that looks very much like the 51-D in 66 FBL we were discussing image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Franklin tonersimage

I have to dig my capital holder and take some images of mine.

The only one I can find is this one, not very high grade but
    it does have a nice band of color.

Stefanie

• Options
    I can add this one. Dark for a mint set 51. Very pleasing.

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    51's can run dark ............and that's a reeel purty one indeed .......is it 4 sale ?
  • Options
    See BST thread. But this ain't an advertisement!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    Wanted to share my a look at my Registry toned 51P - 66
    A buttery look!

imageimage

Coiny
  • Options
    that 54 u got up is a phizzer too , i got more then a few PCGS's of that date that have less bell line's then that one yet they say FBL on the holder ....

are those 3 you recently put up going to end up in Tomaska's book ?
  • Options
    Beautiful 51's Ronyahski! I also saw some really AWESOME Frankies in your previous posts...Can't wait to see them again.image
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful 51's Ronyahski! I also saw some really AWESOME Frankies in your previous posts...Can't wait to see them again.image >>

Thanks! Now that I have overconfidence in my picture taking skills, primarily due to reading Mark G's book, I am going to go back and retake some pics of the earlier Franklin dates. Stay tuned.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

=
  • Options
    anyone else got any comments on the 1951 Franklin ?
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Nice coins! I really like the second one pictured.

I don't have any nicely toned '51s. image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bushmaster posted my coin,
    but that's OK image
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

Some nice '51's here. On the coin that coiny posted I can see evidence of a linear pattern that was brought up recently by another member. Could someone expound on this pattern a little further please!
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Finding a 1951-P with truly great color and luster to go along, however, is a horse of a different color.

My Dalmation Frankie! This is just an unusual toning pattern. Some may like it, some not, I think it is cool. The colors are advanced for a 1951:
    imageimage

Wouldn't a "Pinto Franklin" be more appropriate for this one?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks! Now that I have overconfidence in my picture taking skills, primarily due to reading Mark G's book, I am going to go back and retake some pics of the earlier Franklin dates. Stay tuned. >>

We will be waiting image
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks! Now that I have overconfidence in my picture taking skills, primarily due to reading Mark G's book, I am going to go back and retake some pics of the earlier Franklin dates. Stay tuned. >>

We will be waiting image >>

and still waiting.... image
  • Options
    bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616
    From john Wooten's date by date analysis:

"Mint set 51-P's generally exhibit little or no color, often dusty brown, and are frequently lackluster and lifeless with minimal appeal. Many are poorly struck and sometimes display distracting die marks on the cheek and bell. " (I think he means planchet chatter that didn't get obliterated during striking? BM)
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can add this one. Dark for a mint set 51. Very pleasing.
    image >>

That's a very nice looking piece!! Sweetimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616
    That one was actually pulled from a mint set by our own cohodk.image
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    ......how the heck do you pronounce cohodk ?
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

We want to see your 48 (again) !!!

K
  • Options
    imageimage

....how much for this one ?
  • Options

<< <i>imageimage

....how much for this one ? >>