Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1825 bust quarter thread. Extra points for posting a B-1!

Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
PCGS F12, B-3, Terrible pics, I will have to reshoot soon.

imageimage

NGC VF20, B-2 (I sold this one recently to a member of the forum.)

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Sam123Sam123 Posts: 175

B-2 ?imageimage
    People who don't trust other people. Can't be trusted.
  • Options
    Yup Sam, B-2, and a fantastic one!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    wow i'm impressed! these all look like nice coins so far based on the digi-pics

K S
  • Options
    Thanks Billet, the coin looks better in hand than the pictures show.

Sam
    People who don't trust other people. Can't be trusted.
  • Options
    What happened to Quarternut? I'm sure he has all three...plus an "L" counterstamp all in AU.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have all three die marriages, but took pictures of none of them. My B-1 is a cleaned but decent-looking G-VG. Better get my camera out and finish photographing my Bust quarters.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Here's a B-1!! Wait...nope, it's just a mislabeled holder. Remember, buy the coin, not the holder...

Linky
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a B-1!! Wait...nope, it's just a mislabeled holder. Remember, buy the coin, not the holder...

Linky >>

If it wasn't a mechanical error....I would be "all over that like a pack of wolves on a three legged bunny!" Pardon the expression.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a B-1!! Wait...nope, it's just a mislabeled holder. Remember, buy the coin, not the holder... >>

Yeah, the 1825 B-1 seems to get mis-attributed quite a bit. It sure seems easy to tell the difference to me...but what do I know...image

I must have missed this thread back in April...I will post a few 1825's when I get home...don't have the pics on my computer at work.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my camera out and finished photographing my Bust quarters. It just took 8 months to get around to it. My 1825 quarters suck for grade, but at least I have all 3 die marriages.

• Options
    Ron, the great thing is that you can easily upgrade the B-2, as it is the most common 1825 die marriage, found in all grades. A nice AU of the B-3 will be difficult, but an EF should be doable too.

As to the B-1, it looks like a nice no problem example that frankly will be difficult (and expensive!) to upgrade. I would just enjoy it for what it is, rare!

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can play a coin in the game, this one a B-3. Haven't looked at this picture in a while, will be as surprised as you as to how nice/not nice it is, as I honestly don't remember..

imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the Browning numbers.

• Options
    I don't know the Browning numbers.

They are both B-2's

QN

P.S. I will be putting together a post in the morning (West Coast time) of all of the 1825's...stay tuned!

• Options
    All right...here we go, enjoy! (sorry the pics are so big!)

1825 B-1 EDS
    imageimage

1825 B-1 LDS (chipping of the die has caused the top of the 5 in the date to fill in)
    imageimage

1825 B-2 LDS RETAINED CUD AT THE ARROWHEADS

1825 B-3 EDS (Book Plate coin)
    imageimage

1825 B-3 LDS RETAINED CUD AT UNITED (not yet shifted)
    imageimage

1825 B-3 LDS RETAINED CUD AT UNITED (now shifted)

And the same die stage with more wear...

1825 B-2 With "L" Countermark
    imageimage

1825 B-2 With "E" Countermark
    imageimage

1825/2 B-1 (actually 5/4/2)

1825/3 B-2 (actually 5/4/2)

1825/4 B-3 (actually 5/4/2)

QN

• Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Wow excellent coins, if I ever finish seated I am going to start busties. Love all the coins, and the cool counter marked ones especially.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    image for the evening crowd!

• Options
    Awesome coins, QN (as usual). I have to wait to post pics of my B-1 and B-2 until Becoka photographs them. I'll be bumping this thread again in a few days image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you tell the 1, 2 and 3? I kinda compared looking at things different that are used in dimes and I saw nothing.

Just curious since I may start the bust quarters and halves when the Complete Bust coin set comes out, which should be soon.

Jon
  • Options

<< <i>How do you tell the 1, 2 and 3? I kinda compared looking at things different that are used in dimes and I saw nothing.

Just curious since I may start the bust quarters and halves when the Complete Bust coin set comes out, which should be soon.

Jon >>

Easiest pickup points are, Star number 8, if it's high on the cap...then it's a B-1, if not then it's one of the other two. The reverse on the B-2 has the 25 high, and the B-3 had it lower near the reeding. B-2 and B-3 have the same obverse.
  • Options

<< <i>How do you tell the 1, 2 and 3? I kinda compared looking at things different that are used in dimes and I saw nothing.

Jon >>

There are only two different obverse dies and three reverse dies used in creating the three known die marriages found in 1825. The B-2 and B-3 have the same obverse die used. The short and easy way to tell the three die marriages apart are as follows:

B-1 -- On the obverse, look at the lowest right hand star (star-13 counting clockwise from the lower left star). If it points below the curls then it is not a B-1. Only the B-1 obverse has Star-13 pointing to the back of the curls. Also, look at the 5 in the date. If it is completely under the curl then it is a B-1. If Star-8 (the upper right hand star) points high on the back of Liberty's cap then it is a B-1.

On the reverse, look for a die line that extends from the bottom of the lowest arrowhead back towards the eagle.

B-2 & B-3 -- On the reverse, the easiest way to tell the B-2 & B-3 dies apart is to look at the scroll. If the I in PLURIBUS is centered under the second T in STATES, it is a B-2. If it is centered between the A & T in STATES, it is a B-3. But what if the coin is lower grade and you can no longer see the letters on the scroll you say? Well, then look at the denomination. On the B-2 die marriage; the denomination is closer to the eagle than the rim. On the B-3, it is closer to the rim than the eagle. The best place to see the difference is the space between the C and the olive branch.

QN

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I can see all three now. Easy to tell when you know what to look for.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, I can see all three now. Easy to tell when you know what to look for. >>

No problem, just takes practice! (...and a good reference book) image

QN

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Some mo'

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    I finally remembered to add my two 1825s. First the B-2...and then the tough B-1.

• Options
    Here's a funky one

edit: don't have a pic handy of the reverse, is there any way to tell B2 or B3 from the obverse alone?

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>edit: don't have a pic handy of the reverse, is there any way to tell B2 or B3 from the obverse alone? >>

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think they both have the same obverse.

Here is a PCGS 40 that got attributed on the slab as B2 but it's actually a B3.

jom
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I have only one 1825 B-3, PCGS 45 CAC DS V, with a Rotated Die. My other 1825s are all B-2.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Here's a 1825 B-1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file