Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Skilling Question

Does anyone on the boards collect 19th century Swedish coppers?

I'm considering putting together a type set of skillings and would welcome any information or opinions that anyone would like to share (difficulty, resources, reference material, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a soft spot for the Skilling pieces of 1802 - 1805 and the 4 Skillings of 1849 - 1855. Nothing interesting to show, but I do love the heft of a large hunk of copper!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    19th century coppers from Sweden span over a large variety of issues, for several reasons:

- The several hundred years old series of crossed arrow copper skillings was running until 1832, and then again with a new design in the 1840's and 1850's.
    - After the Napoleon wars, the Swedes won Norway from Denmark. Thus the coins after 1814 have the text: "Sveriges Norr Goth... konung", meaning: King of Sweden and Norway (and Gothia)
    - From 1835, copper coins with wreath were printed.
    - From 1855, they started printing the new currency "ore".
    - From 1873, the "ore" became more wide spread, with a common currency for all scandinavia (krone/ore)

In all, I counted 46 main types of Swedish 19th century coppers, whereof 32 are skillings. Most of the coins are readily available in high grades.

There are loads of books in Swedish on this. Do you read Swedish?

• Options
    No, unfortunately I don't speak/read Swedish.

I have however taken a very small step toward exploring this new (to me) collecting area:

None are what I would call high end coins, but they're a start.

Opinions are welcome.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

All of the above are seller's photos.

• Options
    It should be pretty cheap for you to buy directly from Swedish dealers given the near-collaps of the Swedish currency (which is due to gross mismanagement by Riksbanken - the Swedish National Bank - but, since this is not a forum where politics are debated, enough about that).

Here's a link to dealers that belong to the Swedish Coins Dealers Association: http://www.mynt.nu/smf/mynthandlare.asp

Not many have particularly good websites, unfortunately.

Good luck!

//Auto
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.