Home Sports Talk
Options

do these teams ever learn?

AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
I am looking through the draft analysis and two things stuck out at me - the Bengals taking malcontent andre smith (who nobody wants to touch since he went bonkers at the combine, etc) at 6 overall and then the raiders taking darrius heyward-bey at 7 when crabtree and maclin (but especially crabtree) are available? what are they doing??
John
Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am looking through the draft analysis and two things stuck out at me - the Bengals taking malcontent andre smith (who nobody wants to touch since he went bonkers at the combine, etc) at 6 overall and then the raiders taking darrius heyward-bey at 7 when crabtree and maclin (but especially crabtree) are available? what are they doing??
    John >>

And let's not forget, the Lions drafted an offensive skill position player.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Raiders fell in love with the 40 time. It takes more than speed to be a good WR in the league.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Jerry Angelo had one of his better first and second round drafts for the Bears.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am looking through the draft analysis and two things stuck out at me - the Bengals taking malcontent andre smith (who nobody wants to touch since he went bonkers at the combine, etc) at 6 overall and then the raiders taking darrius heyward-bey at 7 when crabtree and maclin (but especially crabtree) are available? what are they doing??
    John >>

And let's not forget, the Lions drafted an offensive skill position player. >>

The Lions really had no choice but to take him, if this kid turns out to be a stud and they passed on him it would have been even more pathetic than their 0-16 season!

If you have a prototypical "Franchise" QB on the board you should grab him, or the best OL/DL on the board depending on your needs. Forget RB or WR, free agents are always available to plug in- it ALL starts on the line. I just hope for Detroits sake they groom this kid slowly though, nothing like throwing a young QB to the wolves his first year and ruining his confidence- IE David Carr....
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    "I am looking through the draft analysis and two things stuck out at me - the Bengals taking malcontent andre smith (who nobody wants to touch since he went bonkers at the combine, etc) at 6 overall and then the raiders taking darrius heyward-bey at 7 when crabtree and maclin (but especially crabtree) are available? what are they doing??"

A reporter with the Crabtree party said someone breathed a large sigh of relief when the Raiders did not take him. I think that
    really needs no explanation. image
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Raiders fell in love with the 40 time. It takes more than speed to be a good WR in the league. >>

Amen. If there is any doubt about that, refer to Troy Williamson!
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i> The Lions really had no choice but to take him, if this kid turns out to be a stud and they passed on him it would have been even more pathetic than their 0-16 season!

If you have a prototypical "Franchise" QB on the board you should grab him, or the best OL/DL on the board depending on your needs. Forget RB or WR, free agents are always available to plug in- it ALL starts on the line. I just hope for Detroits sake they groom this kid slowly though, nothing like throwing a young QB to the wolves his first year and ruining his confidence- IE David Carr.... >>

I completely agree. This team has had 50 years or nothing but back-ups as their starter. They needed to take another chance and not forever be soured by the Harrington experience. Culpepper hopefully can be capable enough to keep Stafford on the bench until he's ready. This team isn't going anywhere this year anyways, so no need to force Stafford into action.

I actually am not sure what I thought about their picks this year. I liked Oher at 20, but not upset with them taking Pettigrew instead. The guy is a good blocker who can actually catch, so he can help them in both aspects. I like the guy they got at 33, but didn't think it was one of the teams biggest needs. I'm no expert though, just a fan with a beer and nothing better to do on Sunday image The OLB pick from Wisconsin baffled me a bit, but could see the need for the other picks. I wished they focused on the D a little more, but they did address some of the questions via free agency. This team will be better, but that's partially because they can't get any worse. Every position, with the exception of WR1 and K, could be upgraded. So in essence, there were no bad picks IMO.

People here are pissed that they passed on Rey... twice. I kinda liked him, but apparently a lot of teams didn't. I heard an NFL rep say this morning that they saw a lot of holes in this guys game. But before the draft, you don't point them out publicly in the hopes some other team takes him over they guy they want. He said he heard a lot from his associates stating they were suprised he went at 38... and not more like 58. I guess it's telling to some degree. Especially when draft "experts" had him so high but so many teams passed and JL was the first MLB taken. Most of the draft "experts" had Rey going 10-15 picks before JL.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Jaworski eluded to this on ESPN. The game is not played in a T-shirt & gym shorts. It's played with a helmet & lots of pads.

4.3 or 4.6 --- either way, your going to get tackled from behind. Strength & football skills are more important.

Rolando Nehemiah anyone....
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik