Home U.S. Coin Forum

Finally got my last 1827 half

OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
It barely makes Good and has graffiti dating from the year 1845. It cost me solid XF money (Plus my max bid was almost twice what I got it for). But it is the last (achievable by me) die marriage for my 1827 set. It's estimated that only about 35 or so examples exist in any grade--most of which are damaged. I've been looking for an affordable O-144 for the last 19 years.

imageimage

Many of you know that I am "kinda" nutty about 1827 bust halves--okay, so "kinda" doesn't cut it. This one will probably be the last one I ever buy since the last 3 remaining die marriages for the year are all high R-6 (O-137), R-7 (O-148) or R-8 (O-149) coins.
Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Comments

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. I'm sure you disagree, but I kinda dig the grafitti. In any event, nice pick up image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Very nice find. I can't imagine the satisfaction of having finally found something after looking that long.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about this die makes it so different?

peacockcoins

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I kinda think the grafitti is cool also. Although I would prefer it to be problem free, it is better than a slash, or a huge dig!
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great find. Congratulations!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congratulations. There's got to be some cherrypickable O-137s out there! I try to keep that perspective for the really rare ones.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a fantastic story of perseverance. I have not attempted to manipulate the image to display what the graffiti says, so could you add to the thread the inscription?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    awesome!!!
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Congrats.

I was hoping for gold but silver will do. There are only 3 gold Half Eagle varieties/die marriages from 1837 and all are scarce but not impossible.
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thanks to all who commented. I enjoyed the search as much as the finding. As for the graffiti, I kind of like it too. It lends a sense of history to what is otherwise simply a worn out old coin.

As to indidual questions...

Braddick, The dies on this coin are not that different from the other 27 obverse and 33 reverse dies used in 1827. It is the combination of any 2 particular dies whch form the 49 different die marriages for the year.

Tom, The inscription in the upper right field reads "Cadet Robertson 1845. In the left (behind Liberty) Roberston is repeated.

A note: As gentlemen military cadets were expected to never be completely without funds. Thus it became a common practice to carry a pocket piece--often from one's birth year. A search of West Point archives comes up with Beverly Robertson--born June 1827, appointed to USMA1845, and graduated class of 1849. He went on to become a CSA general during the Civil War. One has to wonder if this was his coin.
  • Sweet story and congrats! Its cool that you may have tracked down the actual graffiti person too.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Now that is cool!!

BEVERLY ROBERTSON

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My thanks to all who commented. I enjoyed the search as much as the finding. As for the graffiti, I kind of like it too. It lends a sense of history to what is otherwise simply a worn out old coin.

As to indidual questions...

Braddick, The dies on this coin are not that different from the other 27 obverse and 33 reverse dies used in 1827. It is the combination of any 2 particular dies whch form the 49 different die marriages for the year.

Tom, The inscription in the upper right field reads "Cadet Robertson 1845. In the left (behind Liberty) Roberston is repeated.

A note: As gentlemen military cadets were expected to never be completely without funds. Thus it became a common practice to carry a pocket piece--often from one's birth year. A search of West Point archives comes up with Beverly Robertson--born June 1827, appointed to USMA1845, and graduated class of 1849. He went on to become a CSA general during the Civil War. One has to wonder if this was his coin. >>

How could it be otherwise? Great coin and awesome provenance. Huge congratulations! Missed the post first time around

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick up image
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Ok, that is just way cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I do not like graffiti, but this one I could live with.

Just because you now own all the 1827 CBH marriages you wanted to own, does not mean you cannot upgrade most of the more common marriages. Your wife will think you have lost interest in the 1827s, if you do not look for upgrades.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Wow, 19 years, congrats!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a fun old thread to read!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not like graffiti, but this one I could live with.

Just because you now own all the 1827 CBH marriages you wanted to own, does not mean you cannot upgrade most of the more common marriages. Your wife will think you have lost interest in the 1827s, if you do not look for upgrades. >>

A 4 yo thread, but I have to confess that yes, I have continued to buy 27's--not even as upgrades sometimes. I'm sick.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I do not like graffiti, but this one I could live with.

Just because you now own all the 1827 CBH marriages you wanted to own, does not mean you cannot upgrade most of the more common marriages. Your wife will think you have lost interest in the 1827s, if you do not look for upgrades. >>

A 4 yo thread, but I have to confess that yes, I have continued to buy 27's--not even as upgrades sometimes. I'm sick. >>

It's The Fever
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. And that is one cool O.144. I love that you learned who cadet Robertson was. Dogged!

So you're missing the O.148 and O.149? Maybe the O.137? Some accomplishment!

Sheridan Downey had a nice O.144 at this summer's ANA. I shot it for him in early July. I don't recall what it went for. Maybe you saw it?
    Lance.

imageimage
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remarkable accomplishment.

Tom

• coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    Nice job...the O-144 is particularly hard to spot.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭
    Nice example! O.144 is definitely one of the rarer R5+ varieties in the series, if you ask me. Your coin looks a lot like mine, minus the graffiti and big price tag image

So I'm guessing you need the O.137, 48, and 49? The 136 and 148 are pickable if you're lucky, but the O.149 falls under the same category as unicorns, jackalopes, and the Loch Ness Monster.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    Here's another one that I sold last year. It's probably still out there:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file