Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UHR BOOK ERROR

My book has an error from page 16 to page 17. The word MORE is used twice in a row.
Is all the others the same?
Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman

Comments

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    No it's normal.. The author is the same person that wrote Oliver Twist.. More Please Sir... MORE? Yea sir May I have More..image
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...has been called the most most beautiful coin design ever created...
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Brother, mine has most printed twice.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    So, is it mechanical doubling or doubled die?
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    The double word is the most difficult error for a human proofreader to find and the simplest one for the computer proofreading program to find. --Jerry
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I say send it in for slabbing. That error might be worth millions in a few years!
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The double word is the most difficult error for a human proofreader to find and the simplest one for the computer proofreading program to find. --Jerry >>

Are you you sure, because I never miss that error.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody find a "smoe" yet???
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My book has an error from page 16 to page 17. The word MORE is used twice in a row.
    Is all the others the same? >>

Double dyed?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Are you taking offers?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is everyones book like that?

Maybe you got the ONE that snuck by somehow...maybe that was the reason they were "bad" in the first place.

...a real rarity R9.9
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An error like that is worth a lot on eBay.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    My book is still sealed in it's shrink wrap to preserve its value. image
  • Options
    That's no error! It took so long to put them together they reverted to the 19th century book
    feature of beginning a page with the same word as the last word on the preceding page.
    JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Mine says fnord.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The double word is the most difficult error for a human proofreader to find and the simplest one for the computer proofreading program to find. --Jerry >>

Are you you sure, because I never miss that error. >>

I never miss it either now that Word underlines it for me. Before PCs I was told by a friend/author/editor that the double word was well known to be the most elusive, especially if one was at the end of one line and the next one at the beginning of the next line.

-Jerry
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I never miss it either now that Word underlines it for me. Before PCs I was told by a friend/author/editor that the double word was well known to be the most elusive, especially if one was at the end of one line and the next one at the beginning of the next line.

-Jerry >>

I believe it.

Hope you caught the double you's in my first post. A smiley would have given it away if I used it then. image

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

-Jerry >>

I believe it.

Hope you caught the double you's in my first post. A smiley would have given it away if I used it then. image >>

I caught it, however, my computer completely missed it.
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    There was a CW article that reported an error book. The cover was upside down in relation to the pages.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My book is still sealed in it's shrink wrap to preserve its value. >>

And here I thought I was the only one into Mint Books. image
  • Options
    Many years ago I worked in a bindery...my entry level job was standing behind a folding machine 16 hours a day packing pamphlets into bundles and putting them in a box. Horrible work that paid well...anyway, IF they DARED put me on a fast machine, or a really hard job...first thing I done was proofread the bloody thing. This was back in the days before computer programs etc etc....Id say there was usually a ten percent chance Id find an error that was important enough to shut the job down while the client was contacted.

Pretty soon they made me the foreman image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have nothing useful to add, but you men who know humor are the ones who brought me here image
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>Many years ago I worked in a bindery...my entry level job was standing behind a folding machine 16 hours a day packing pamphlets into bundles and putting them in a box. Horrible work that paid well...anyway, IF they DARED put me on a fast machine, or a really hard job...first thing I done was proofread the bloody thing. This was back in the days before computer programs etc etc....Id say there was usually a ten percent chance Id find an error that was important enough to shut the job down while the client was contacted.

Pretty soon they made me the foreman image >>

Baum folder? Wearing headphones to muffle the noise?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine seems to have been translated using some strange Hungarian-English phrase book.
  • Options
    hahahaha, yes old green baumfolders. Later we got new blue baumfolders which turned out to be junk. Then came the MBO's...they were a nice machine. I could make those folders "sing".

Bindery humor.....What does MBO stand for? "makes baums obsolete" image
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    Two eBay sellers listed the UHR book alone, without the coin.. both closed the same day last week, within hours of each other..

One was sealed in the Mint's shipping carton and sold for $56.00!..

The other was not in the shipping carton, but still in original shrinkwrap and sold for $9.50.. I bought that one..

It arrived in today's mail.. off comes the shrinkwrap.. {{Bernard Herrmann suspense music}}..

Last word on page 16 is "most".. first word on page 17 is "most".. thus, it has the printing error described at the top of this thread..

The question is:: do they ALL have this error, or did the Mint catch it, correct it, and do later printings without this doubled-word error?..

Thanks..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    Does this qualify you for a You Suck Award? HMimage
  • Options

<< <i>Does this qualify you for a You Suck Award? HMimage >>

Heh.. you tell me.. if all the books have that double-word error.. no award.. if they don't.. ding!..

So c'mon, all you people with one or more copies of the book.. do yours have the printing error or not?..
    I thought getting one for $9.50 within hours of someone else paying $56.00 for the exact same thing was a decent score..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My book is still sealed in it's shrink wrap to preserve its value. >>

And here I thought I was the only one into Mint Books. image >>

Were we supposed to actually open them??
  • Options
    I'm starting to think its a good thing that the Mint doesn't issue a booklet with every coin they produce.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>Does this qualify you for a You Suck Award? HMimage >>

Heh.. you tell me.. if all the books have that double-word error.. no award.. if they don't.. ding!..

So c'mon, all you people with one or more copies of the book.. do yours have the printing error or not?..
    I thought getting one for $9.50 within hours of someone else paying $56.00 for the exact same thing was a decent score.. >>

I like your avatar.. What mint do you work at.. Come by 9th street Washington Dc and meet me at the front desk so we can chat.. George
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    This poses a problem, as once you open the packaging to check the text, the Mint Book is no longer in it's original packaging. Meaning it is worthless.

The only way to get cash for an error book to have one in original, sealed packaging.

Hm.
  • Options

<< <i>

I like your avatar.. What mint do you work at.. Come by 9th street Washington Dc and meet me at the front desk so we can chat.. George >>

I don't.. some years ago, the Mint sold US Mint Police patches on their Web site for about five bucks.. I'm not sure if they were an exact replica of the real thing or not.. the avatar is a scaled-down version of the picture they used on their site.. I bought only one, and had a friend sew it onto the shoulder of a jacket.. got a lot of double-takes at coin shows where I wore that jacket ;-) .. I wish I had bought more of those patches.. they came on a backing card with some history printed on it.. but after they stopped selling them, they never offered them again..

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Many years ago I worked in a bindery...my entry level job was standing behind a folding machine 16 hours a day packing pamphlets into bundles and putting them in a box. Horrible work that paid well...anyway, IF they DARED put me on a fast machine, or a really hard job...first thing I done was proofread the bloody thing. This was back in the days before computer programs etc etc....Id say there was usually a ten percent chance Id find an error that was important enough to shut the job down while the client was contacted.

That sounds like me. I spent many years, from the early 60's to the late 80's, working in bookbinderies , going from one that was going under to another until all that was left was the small job shops. I guess that is the way of the world now. I think I liked the old days better.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

That sounds like me. I spent many years, from the early 60's to the late 80's, working in bookbinderies , going from one that was going under to another until all that was left was the small job shops. I guess that is the way of the world now. I think I liked the old days better. >>

I ran the bigger quad folders just for you guys in the know before the MBO,s were around.
  • Options

<< <i>Two eBay sellers listed the UHR book alone, without the coin.. both closed the same day last week, within hours of each other..

One was sealed in the Mint's shipping carton and sold for $56.00!..

The other was not in the shipping carton, but still in original shrinkwrap and sold for $9.50.. I bought that one..

It arrived in today's mail.. off comes the shrinkwrap.. {{Bernard Herrmann suspense music}}..

Last word on page 16 is "most".. first word on page 17 is "most".. thus, it has the printing error described at the top of this thread..

The question is:: do they ALL have this error, or did the Mint catch it, correct it, and do later printings without this doubled-word error?..

Thanks.. >>

I'll say it again. This very well could be intentional and not an error.
    Early 19th century books used this method to help the reader maintain his line of thought when going to the next page.
    I'll admit, it sounds a little archaic to be doing so now but you know the US Mint; always lurking in the past.
    They could have done it just to make it unusual. We'll probably never know the truth.
    And yes, mine is still in the shrink wrap.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    Hi..

I'll get to the UHR book question (again).. shortly..

Meanwhile..

A friend and I went to the Long Beach show yesterday.. my main purpose was to use up the remaining four "free" gradings plus the "free" quarterly special left on my "Platinum" membership.. I joined in February, 2008.. they extended the membership to this November, since they discontinued the PCGS magazine.. so before we left for the show, I plowed through my slabs, found four NGCs and a SEGS to submit and use up my remaining four "free" cross-over grading.. I specified crossing at minimum, the same grades.. will post results in a different thread later, when the grades show up.. also found a gorgeous, rainbow-toned 1954 quarter a friend sent me years ago, which I used for the "free" quarterly special..

Back to the show.. I did not see ONE single dealer selling the UHR book by itself.. but I won't pretend to have looked at all of the hundreds of dealer tables.. after the long, ridiculous walk up and down a bajillion stairways from the parking lot, my back was hurting so badly, I had to pop pain-killers and sit down a lot..

I DID finally see some UHRs in the flesh.. very pretty, but being out-of-work, spending $1289.00 (unless they've raised it again).. isn't in the cards for me at this time.. but I think I was pretty lucky to score the book for under ten bucks, considering the Mint does not sell it by itself.. I didn't see a single dealer at the huge show selling the book by itself, only TWO have been listed on eBay.. they both closed within hours of each other on the same day.. one sold for $56.00, the other for $9.50.. go figure that out.. not a single UHR book by itself has been listed since.. (this link shows both eBay UHR books, and won't work if you're reading this a week or two from now)..

Link

Rather than start another thread.. just a couple other comments about some things I saw and bought there..

- we got there about 1030am and the lot under the Convention center was full.. even handicapped parking (I have a bad back and a car tag.. the girl at the booth said "full".. damn..).. so we had to park in a structure a block away, and walk to the front doors of the hall.. up and down more stairways I could count.. got lost half a dozen times.. the place must've been designed out by a sadistic architect in an asylum.. it reminded me of a tour I took long ago of the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose.. stairways that lead nowhere.. you can't get there from here, even though it's right over there..

- attendance was very light for a Saturday morning.. I walked to the PCGS table, always in the same place, right inside the hall doors and to the left.. all the chairs were empty.. sat down, got out my forms and vouchers and other crap from a year and a half ago, got out my slabs and raw coin, and a very friendly rep helped me through the whole process.. looked up all the coin numbers for me.. blah blah etc. etc.. said the submission would be in their system early this week, and turnaround would be 15 business days or less.. so the way I did the form, NONE of the slabs will get down-graded.. I don't know if ANY of them will get up-graded.. I'll be satisfied if they all just cross at their same grades.. and "free"?.. Hah!.. I wrote a check for over $60.00 for return Registered mail.. an interesting definition of "free"..

- my friend forgot or lost his "you still have four free" form from last year.. so he couldn't submit anything!.. they said they'd extend his membership some more, so he'll have to do it by mail.. after he gets the replacement "you still have four free" form in the mail..

- I bought some cheap supplies, and, since he's into currency.. we stopped at a lot of paper money dealers so he could schmooze and buy some very odd-ball stuff.. which gave me a chance to sit down a lot and rest my aching back..

- one foreign currency dealer from Mexico had singles and bricks (100 notes) of currency from all over the world.. we picked up some crisp 2008 $100 TRILLION $ notes from Zimbabwe.. the highest denomination note ever issued in history, I think.. couple bucks each.. so I'm a $100 Trillionaire ;-) .. Zimbabwe demonitized the note this year, but last year, in 2008 it was worth about US$0.50.. talk about hyper-inflation!.. you couldn't buy a loaf of bread with a $100 Trillion bill!..

- I always wanted an old large-style US$1.00 bill.. found a dealer who had a bunch in different conditions.. I picked up a heavily-circulated but nice, clean one (no holes, no tears).. for $30.00.. 1923, the last year they were made before the US switched to the current, small-sized currency..

- The most single impressive, mind-boggling dealer display.. I can't remember his name.. but he lives in the same So. Calif. suburb I do.. he said he doesn't operate a store.. only sells at shows.. and he had three absolutely mind-blowing things in his cases (besides the two or three million $ worth of other PCGS slabs he had on display..)..

THE PCGS PR68 DCAM 1895 $ - population ONE, finest known, $200,000.00+.. it was the most obscenely gorgeous MorgEn DollEr I've EVER seen.. it was so perfect, it didn't look real!.. image

Next to that in the same case, both the round and octagonal 1915 Panama Pacific $50.00 Gold slugs.. both PCGS MS67.. half a million $ for the pair.. image

No idea if he owns those and the other hyper-ultra-uber expensive coins he was selling, or if they were on consignment to him.. I had to ask for a roll of paper towel to wipe the drool off his case.. ;-) ..

After a bit more trudging around, my friend had a $10.00 hot dog and Coke, and we trudged back to my car via a shorter route.. only 20 stairways to negotiate, instead of the 209380293820981 we had to climb up and down when we got lost and went in circles to get into the hall a few hours earlier..

Anyway.. I still don't know if ALL the UHR books have that "most most" double-word printing error.. if they ALL have it, then it's not a valuable error.. so I'll ask again.. does ANYONE reading this who owns the UHR book NOT have the word "most" at the bottom of page 16, and the first word in the same sentence at the top of page 17?..

Sorry for rambling..

Thanks,
    Harv
  • Options
    Yes, I don't have that.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, I don't have that. >>

So you're saying the Mint did at least a second printing of the UHR book.. so the ones with the double "most" in the same sentence IS an error.. well.. cool ;-) ..

Thanks,
    Harv
  • Options
    No, i'm saying that Yes, I don't have the proposed error book with only one most.

My book has two 'most's.

Sorry. I was trying to give a very unambiguous, frustrating answer. It worked. My day is complete and I will spew no more lunacy on this forum today. Thank you!
  • Options
    So.. the "error" book has the correctly-printed wording.. image
    Well, whatever.. it's a cool book..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file