Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1852 1000 reis...colors!

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a raw purchase at CICF!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking, but I wouldn't know the chances of it slabbing. I had some of those which were white and seemed almost prooflike- quite lovely- but it turns out they'd been tinkered with. They were subtly whizzed to give them the prooflike appearance.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that's the case with yours, but I have heard that such cleaning/whizzing is or was popular amongst South American collectors, so I wonder, that's all. In my experience with cleaned pieces, I've not seen many colored ones with secondary toning (or original toning), so I don't know.

Regardless, it's a handsome piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    You got to go to CICF....
    ....Therefore....
    (((You Suck.)))

Nice Coin.
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! I've seen that kind of toning on those before -- it looks like it was stored in a velvet-lined cabinet. Depending on whether the bright spots on the high points are wear or a reflection from the photography, I'd say it's either a nice AU58 or a choice BU.

Lord M is right about cleaning on that type of coin -- it's common and very difficult to spot. But this one looks original.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newsman is the one whose opinion I was interested in seeing, here.

Sounds good.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice looking, but I wouldn't know the chances of it slabbing. I had some of those which were white and seemed almost prooflike- quite lovely- but it turns out they'd been tinkered with. They were subtly whizzed to give them the prooflike appearance.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that's the case with yours, but I have heard that such cleaning/whizzing is or was popular amongst South American collectors, so I wonder, that's all. In my experience with cleaned pieces, I've not seen many colored ones with secondary toning (or original toning), so I don't know.

Regardless, it's a handsome piece. >>

Did not appear to me but we'll find out as I submitted this coin to pcgs ..will let everyone know what they say.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    The coin seems original from the photo, and the toning is attractive. It's obvious this one wasn't in the hands of a collector who likes his coins shiny -- at least not recently -- as so many of these have been. Hidden hairlines are a real problem, though.

True prooflike BU examples of this type are scarce -- I've only seen two or three.
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Very nice. MS64.