Home Sports Talk
Options

$41.7 Million, GUARANTEED!

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, Lions fans (I think there is at least one left?), how do you feel about locking up $78 million worth of salary ($41.7 million of that is guaranteed money) for six years in the person of Matthew Stafford? Who will block for him? Who will he throw to? Is this good news?

Comments

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Mistake, IMHO. Stafford may have all the tools, but he's totally unproven. He didn't win very many big games at UGA. I never recall him leading the team down the field to victory. Could be Joe Montana or Tim Couch...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    The NFL is out of control...I can't believe the money they pay out for speculation. I hope there are lots of flops up high and some great dark horses this year.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    None of these guys are proven at the NFL level, so it's all a crapshoot. Somebody was going to get the money, so hopefully Stafford ends up being the guy they believe he can be. Detroits line has always been questionable, but so have their QB's. I've watched them enough to believe that they're not as bad as many think. They've had QB's in here like Kitna, Orlovsky and Culpepper that like to sit in the pocket too long. That's way too much pressure on a line trying to protect a QB for 5+ seconds all the time. Plus they had NO running game to mention. Kevin Smith seemed to come on last year and nearly got 1000 yds as a rookie. That will help take some of the pressure off. Stafford will still have Calvin Johnson to throw to, and they have picked up Ronald Curry and Bryant Johnson. Neither are all pro, but will be decent second and third options for Stafford. And even Standeford, a guy who seemed to catch nearly everything last year. The problem with him is he's skinny and slow. But I also suspect the Lions will target a TE in this draft. Possibly Pettigrew if he's still available at 20. Can catch some passes and help along the line.

Stafford did win some big games in college, including all three of his bowl games. He's capable. His stats improved every year he was in college. He started for 3 years including his freshman year. It's longer than many of the other players being considered ever started.

It's hard to get excited about a team spending so much money on a college kid, but this is what the NFL draft has become.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>None of these guys are proven at the NFL level, so it's all a crapshoot. Somebody was going to get the money, so hopefully Stafford ends up being the guy they believe he can be. Detroits line has always been questionable, but so have their QB's. I've watched them enough to believe that they're not as bad as many think. They've had QB's in here like Kitna, Orlovsky and Culpepper that like to sit in the pocket too long. That's way too much pressure on a line trying to protect a QB for 5+ seconds all the time. Plus they had NO running game to mention. Kevin Smith seemed to come on last year and nearly got 1000 yds as a rookie. That will help take some of the pressure off. Stafford will still have Calvin Johnson to throw to, and they have picked up Ronald Curry and Bryant Johnson. Neither are all pro, but will be decent second and third options for Stafford. And even Standeford, a guy who seemed to catch nearly everything last year. The problem with him is he's skinny and slow. But I also suspect the Lions will target a TE in this draft. Possibly Pettigrew if he's still available at 20. Can catch some passes and help along the line.

Stafford did win some big games in college, including all three of his bowl games. He's capable. His stats improved every year he was in college. He started for 3 years including his freshman year. It's longer than many of the other players being considered ever started.

It's hard to get excited about a team spending so much money on a college kid, but this is what the NFL draft has become. >>

so do you like the move for Detroit? Was there a better alternative (different choice or trading the pick)?
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Lets hope he is the second coming of Peyton Manning and not (shudder) Joey Harrington.

This will boost the salary demands of QB's that have already proven themselves in the NFL, look for Matt Cassell assuming he has
    a decent season with KC want a whole lot more money.
  • Options
    They need to do like they do in the NBA and have a cap on rookies for the first few years in the league. This would allow teams to spend more on their veterans and allow them to keep their players longer instead of having to make drastic cuts to long-time veterans in an effort to get under the cap.

Is he worth the money? Poor guy could be or couldn't be, but the chances of his succeeding in Detroit and earning that money are extremely slim. If I were going to a team that just went winless and had just traded their best receiver I'd want a ton of money up front, too.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>so do you like the move for Detroit? Was there a better alternative (different choice or trading the pick)? >>

Well I must admit I don't know everything there is to know about Stafford. Yes, I like the idea of one day having a QB here worthy of a starting job on nearly any other NFL team. I think a QB can turn a franchise around, but they need so much more than just a QB here. This team isn't as bad as the 0-16 a year ago. Their coaching staff was just terrible here. But I don't think this team is much better than 5 wins right now. The draft could help get another win or two, but that's the best case scenario for this team this year IMO. This team will take 2-3 years minimum to get playoff ready. Drafting a QB now for that run is a good move IMO, as many take that long to get their feet under them.

<< <i>If I were going to a team that just went winless and had just traded their best receiver I'd want a ton of money up front, too. >>

Ummm, Calvin is their best WR and he's still with the team. Roy was insanely overrated. Not that big of a loss, especially if the Lions turn the 1st and 3rd picks acquired from Dallas into starters.