Home U.S. Coin Forum

Barber Quarters: Toughest dates in VF/XF??

Besides the big 3......which dates are tough in the VF/XF range?? Where does the 1909-O rank? Thanks!

Comments

• Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    the 1909-0 is really tough and so is the 1914-s
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    1897-S has been very tough for me. I've seen a F-15 once...then a jump to AU-50 (and it wasn't a very good coin), then into MS grades. Still searching for it.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    but other notable dates to find nice examples from my experience:

1896-O
    1898-S
    1899-S
    1902-S
    1908-S
    1909-O
    1912-S
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lucked into an original 97O in XF and was told in was in the 'next 10' besides the big 3.....I offered it to dogwood on the forum in the Barber thread at GS Ask and he was on it in a heartbeat.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    I never know how to include a website so you can click on it - but the Barber Coin Collectors Society - www.barbercoins.org has a rarity survey for quarters (and others) on its webpage.

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Hello,

In my collecting experience's Ive found the tough date's to be:

92-S
    93-S
    94-O
    95-S
    96-O
    97-O
    97-S
    01-O
    09-O

I purchased a 14-S in (vf-30) 5 years ago for fine money...sent it in got bagged for reverse cleaningimage

I've been pretty fortunate with some of the other tougher date's.

P.S. don't overlook some of the mid year P-mint's in high vf to xf they can be a sleeper in my mind.
    Rob
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    All of these are tough. Depending upon luck of the draw, it's a mixed bag for which coins anyone encounters over a 2 or three year period, which dealers you check and so forth. XXXX's are my favorites.
    92-s
    95-s XXXX
    96-o
    97-o
    97-s XXXXX
    98-s
    99-s
    00-o
    01-o
    03-s
    05-o XXXXX
    06-o
    07-s XXXX
    07-d
    08-s XXXX
    09-o XXXXX (more available in vf20 -hoard alert!)
    11-d
    12-s
    14-s XXXX

Edit: Welcome aboard Redglobe!!!!
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    Do they give any lee-way as to the O- mint coin's as far as submission's are concerned?

Example being,sending in a vf-20 (in your grading criteria) and PCGS bumping it up 1 grade to a vf-25

Or vf-25 to a Vf-30 and so on. I'm just talking about mid-grade example's.

I haven't sent any O mint coin's in yet,just wondering what other's have experienced.

Thank You in advance for any replie's

Rob
    Rob
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All of these are tough. Depending upon luck of the draw, it's a mixed bag for which coins anyone encounters over a 2 or three year period, which dealers you check and so forth. XXXX's are my favorites.
    92-s
    95-s XXXX
    96-o
    97-o
    97-s XXXXX
    98-s
    99-s
    00-o
    01-o
    03-s
    05-o XXXXX
    06-o
    07-s XXXX
    07-d
    08-s XXXX
    09-o XXXXX (more available in vf20 -hoard alert!)
    11-d
    12-s
    14-s XXXX

Edit: Welcome aboard Redglobe!!!! >>

Now this list is getting closer to my reality, and you might have to add
    13-P
    98-O
    02-O
    03-O
    04-O
    and possibly the 06,P,D and O.
    Thank's Dogwood I just seen your reply Thank's

I've been here for a while....joined in Dec.

Just to give you a little bio on my collecting,I started collecting Barber Halves in 1999 and the quarters in 2004

Like many of you, I collect in the vf-25 to xf-40 range

Rob
    Rob
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Dave99B should pipe-in now. He specializes in this grade range.

My comments would be mute as I only collect AU's.

I'll go along with all the comments made so far as they
    parallel the tougher dates in AU.

The 1898-S in 58 just isn't available.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Oops..posted wrong pics
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur with most of the dates/mm's listed by the others. The 97-O and 97-S are a real challenge.

Believe it or not, it took me 7 or 8 years to locate my 92-S and 06-O, in original VF.

The 93-S and 08-S are trickier than you would expect as well.

Sorry I'm so late in responding, Mike. Been busy. image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the 09-O is in the pack of tough dates in nice, original VF. But it's in the elite for tough in XF (as well as AU).

A date I've found to be really tough in VF/XF is the 05-S.

My circ set, the 01-S slot is filled by an 01, couldn't bring myself to crack out my VF:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I know this is about VF/XF, but just figured I'd chime in that the 14-S is overated in G/VG.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Four years late, Dave, all I can say is Leslie must be driving you like a dog.
    That new bathroom has got to be something to behold. HGTV has nothing on you.

I kind of laughed when I saw the thread, as Barber Quarters are in the forefront of
    almost every Barber conversation I have had over the last few months. I really think
    that this series is about to explode.

Vern:
    The Wayte Raymond set is as original and as evenly matched as I have ever seen.
    You've done a great job, not only on the raw set, but in the certified collection as well.
    By the way, I loved the comment of the other day about " Brazil or MFH " in 2014... Ha Ha.
    I say it's neither, I say you're flying to LA / Long Beach - to preview a pair of AU 1901-S Quarters !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO the 09-O is in the pack of tough dates in nice, original VF. But it's in the elite for tough in XF (as well as AU).

A date I've found to be really tough in VF/XF is the 05-S.

My circ set, the 01-S slot is filled by an 01, couldn't bring myself to crack out my VF:

image >>

I would just have to say that's the prettiest matched set of Barber Quarters I've ever had the pleasure to see -- thanks for sharing it, barberkeys! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file