Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Vicky 1893 1/- PCGS MS63

PCGS graded this an MS63. image

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the grade. Too many tick marks for a 64.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>I agree with the grade. Too many tick marks for a 64. >>

Hi Bob,

nice coin! I have to agree with Gene though, and the way the services grade these. Victorian silver tend to show the most and largest marks concentrated on the obverse, for some reason. The old grading adage for US coins used to be "the reverse can only harm the grade, but can't help it much", meaning basically that a mind blowing reverse can't make up for an obverse several points lower. Now we all know that with "market grading" running rampant at the two major services for US coins, this adage has pretty much been abandoned to a degree. With world coins however, they still seem to really follow it for some reason.

Case in point........

here is a recently graded NGC MS63 half crown. My pics don't do it justice on the luster, which is strong under the light toning. The obverse is as nice as most any MS64 that you'll see out there, but the reverse is a high end 66. Still, they decided to grade it 63 do to the obverse, giving nearly zero credit to the nearly flawless reverse. In the old ANA/ANACS days, this would likely be a 64/66 grade, taking into account both sides.

here is the coin in question, with the awesome reverse and neat die cracks under some of the reverse letters.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto. I see both these as 63s although as the Doogster says, you really have to have these coins in hand. Look out for 65s that are real with the nice obverse. As you can only imagine, the crowns are so large and so much "opportunity" for contact to ANYWHERE on the obverse and a reverse that has trouble in striking up to boot. \\

Love the Vickies!!!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the fact that the graders are used to see monster toned coins of that date had to do with the 63. Killer luster nevertheless. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3