Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin & Currency Shops In Austin, TX

So does anyone know of good coin and currency shops in, or around, Austin TX? Or conversely, any to avoid?
Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
MACAU
emgworldwide@gmail.com
Cell: 512.808.3197
EMERGING MARKET GROUP
PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

Comments

• Options
    check my sig line

• Options
    Whenever I travel and think I might have time to visit a shop, I go to http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

• Options
    78750Aggie78750Aggie Posts: 417 ✭✭
    There are Two I am aware of:

McBrides: sells coins and firearms. I bought a beautiful 1875-S 20 cent from the Mrs. McBride for VF money and most everyone on this board thought it was XF. She is a very knowledgable and pleasant lady who has helped me learn a few things about coins.

The Village Coin Shop: this one is about 2 miles from my house and where I do most of my business. The owner is as honest as the day is long, I trust him completely. He is the one who found my XF 1872 Seated dollar...a fantastic coin. They are open M-Th from 10:00 to 5:00. He is currently looking for a Bust Large cent for me and I hope he finds one this weekend. He knows my preferences and budget. If I were going to spend lots of money on a coin, I would consult him first.
    Aggie
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. Hit McBrides. Nice people. It's on Burnet Road. And next door to a gun shop!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    McBrides is good. Not a lot of high end coins but they seem to be nice and fair people. I am not a local but i stop in whenever i am in Austin and can always deal with them.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    I find that whenever I'm traveling here, there and everywhere to cities I always consult Link to see what stores are in the area, and then give them a call first to check hours, location, parking, selection etc.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just in Austin, and noticed a coin shop's sign in a small shopping center on Slaughter Ln at West Gate Blvd. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to stop.

Does anyone know anything about this particular shop?

Steve
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 5:

McBride's- Can't say enough good things about the place. Joan and Janice, who run the coin department are some of the nicest people you'll meet in the business. They also have a great selection of coins (especially if you collect Morgans- they have TONS of them).

Village Coin- Another great shop. I'm a little biased, because the owner is also a seller on my web site, but I can say that Brian is a great guy. Bill, who works there also, is vice-president of the coin club here. Don't let what he has in the cases foll you- if you don't see what you like, ask for it- he may have it. They also have a bid board.

Longhorn Coins- At the Round Rock Antique Mall. Brian, the owner, is another great dealer, and has an extensive selection of exonumia. He just set up his shop there recently, but was selling coins from an unattended showcase there for years.

(Name unknown)- on Burnet Road. Chad opened last year, and specializes mainly in bullion. He is expanding his coin dealing, though, and gets good coins from time to time.

Heirloom Jewelry- in the Austin Antique Mall on McCann. Charles was a jewelry dealer there, but in the last year has expanded his space to include coins. He specializes in gold and silver, both bullion and collectible. You can also get your watch fixed while you're looking at coins.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was just in Austin, and noticed a coin shop's sign in a small shopping center on Slaughter Ln at West Gate Blvd. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to stop.

Does anyone know anything about this particular shop?

Steve >>

I did hear about that shop, but haven't been there, and don't know who owns it (it's too far south for me, but I may make a road trip now that you've reminded me about it!)
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file