Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL draft starts at 4 PM this Saturday

A change from its traditional 12 noon start due to a desire for higher TV ratings later in the day and early evening, will be preceeded by 5 hours of pre draft coverage on ESPN and the NFL network. As was done last year there will be a maximum of 10 minutes between picks in the early rounds rather than 15 minutes in order to move the proceedings along more quickly.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Boy, ESPN is prognosticating this thing to death!

How many mock drafts do we need to be subjected to??!!
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Do people really watch this? I just don't get it.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Must see TV, I find it riviting!

Mel Kiper has been appearing in my dreams for the last two weeks, so we must be getting close

PS Mel wins an award for his hair do!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    It would be cool to watch shows from 10 years ago to see how accurate the predictions are. I look forward to it!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do people really watch this? I just don't get it. >>

Not surprised. image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'll be at Reliant Stadium for our draft party from 1:30 - 5:30 CST.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be at Reliant Stadium for our draft party from 1:30 - 5:30 CST.

image >>

that's a true fan (or just a true party-goer): Houston Texans draft party, you must love your hometown team!
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll be at Reliant Stadium for our draft party from 1:30 - 5:30 CST.

image >>

that's a true fan (or just a true party-goer): Houston Texans draft party, you must love your hometown team! >>

It's a combination of a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it - I watch at least the entire first round and it's fun trying to guess the picks...great entertainment in my opinion.
  • Options
    PS: Andy Reid PM'd me and told me he is trading up for a WR.
  • Options

<< <i>PS: Andy Reid PM'd me and told me he is trading up for a WR and box of donuts. >>

I believe it
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PS: Andy Reid PM'd me and told me he is trading up for a WR and box of donuts. >>

I believe it >>

he told me it's gotta be Dunkin Donuts or no deal.
  • Options
    Oh yea, the NFL draft.....thanks for reminding me.
    I haven't had much chance to watch anything on tv
    these past two weeks except ESPN so I had no idea
    it was coming up this weekend. image
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    You gotta love the NFL draft. It's the ultimate reality TV show.

I predict 5 years from now they'll start incorporating some reality show type twists into the draft just to make it even more compelling to watch. Maybe a hidden immunity idol, where a player that doesn't want to be drafted by say .. the Browns, could reject their offer and pick his own team.

Or maybe a "forced trade pass" where one team each year could surprise another team and snatch their pick away by using the secret pass. Just imagine 30 seconds left on the pick clock for Dallas and all of a sudden Dan Snyder whips out his "forced trade pass" and steals the pick away from them, leaving the Cowboys with a much later round Redskins pick. Then you'd really see some war room scrambling going on!

How about if all the 1st round players stood up on a big stage with briefcases in front of them. Hidden inside of the briefcases were randomly selected 1st year contracts with varying rates of pay. Ranging anywhere from huge money all the way down to just $1. If you pick the wrong player and his contract was too large for your team, you'd have to immediately cut a player from your team to make room for the new rookie. If your team is lucky enough to get one of the top guys for $1, then that's all you have to pay him. The players that get stuck with the $1 paychecks would have to sign up for shows like Dancing with the Stars each week to try and earn extra Paycheck money. Now that would be entertaining.

Or maybe all the coaches could run a draft day type gauntlet ... complete with mazes, swinging ropes, and some type of water challenge. The rookies would all be lined up at the end of the race course, and the coaches that reached them first would snatch a red flag from the rookies hands, signifying a draft selection. Contact would be allowed, so the coaches could try and knock each other out during the race.

Yes, the NFL draft is great to watch now .... but just wait until the ratings guys wake up and start to include some of these new twists into it. It will be a month long event.

I can't wait for tomorrow!

Hail to the Redskins!

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Good stuff Mikey ... image

Love the draft, but until they shorten the time between selections to about 3 minutes,
    I'll be playing golf tomorrow, just like in previous years, and then catching up on what happened later on in the afternoon ...
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Good day to play golf!!!!!!, unfortunately I'm a member of the local Lion's Club and our pancake breakfast is tommorrow. Golf will have to wait til Sunday for me, but the last few years I was ducking into the members lounge between rounds to see who went where. Good times
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    It'd be nice if the Packers would draft a General Manager.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>It would be cool to watch shows from 10 years ago to see how accurate the predictions are. I look forward to it! >>

How genius was Tice getting leap frogged for Byron Leftwich in 03? Who did they get that year instead?

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>It would be cool to watch shows from 10 years ago to see how accurate the predictions are. I look forward to it! >>

A classic has got to be Mike Ditka and the Ricky Williams fiasco whereby Ditka gave away all of his team's draft picks for the dopehead Williams and basically stated "I'm done for today" - yea, Ditka was "done" all right. LOL
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    The "Tice" draft debacle was not on him but on the Vikings organization, as the owner at the time was too cheap to hire a GM. The best case scenario worked out for them as they picked DT Kevin Williams --- a perennial All-Pro --- and possible HOF'er.

The Vikes rolled the dice with Percy Harvin. The need WR & PK/PR playmaking, but I'm concerned about his character. It's a make or break year for Childress and the Vikings Admin leadership. If they don't win a home playoff game this year, they will clean house. They had to take this chance. Perhaps though it wasn't in the best interest of the franchise. Time will tell...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    NEW YORK -- With the final pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select... South Carolina kicker Ryan Succop. In what has become an annual tradition, Succop will have the opportunity to take part in "Mr. Irrelevant Week" in Newport Beach, Calif. The draft officially lasted 15 hours, 15 minutes.

Does PSA sponser this?
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>The Vikes rolled the dice with Percy Harvin. The need WR & PK/PR playmaking, but I'm concerned about his character. It's a make or break year for Childress and the Vikings Admin leadership. If they don't win a home playoff game this year, they will clean house. They had to take this chance. Perhaps though it wasn't in the best interest of the franchise. Time will tell... >>

Childress may have written his own pink slip if Harvin's character issues resurface. With all the talk about how he personally sat with Harvin around his college coaches and around his family to see what Harvin is really like, he put his own judgement on the line if it doesn't work out.
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>NEW YORK -- With the final pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select... South Carolina kicker Ryan Succop. In what has become an annual tradition, Succop will have the opportunity to take part in "Mr. Irrelevant Week" in Newport Beach, Calif. The draft officially lasted 15 hours, 15 minutes.

Does PSA sponser this? >>

Mr. Irrelevant just kicked a game winner, in overtime, against PIT.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I hope someone has the time to research if Mr. Irrelevant has ever done anything important in an NFL game....I'd be curious to know how many even the team?