Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Frankfurt 3/4 Ducat NEWP

I didn't buy this just because I like the design of the obverse, I'm officially collecting German coins now.

I need to say thanks to Preussen and 3Mark for advising me on this one as they know German stuff much better than I. This one is a 1745 3/4 Ducat in silver commemorating the coronation of Francis 1st as Elector of Frankfurt. Ducats normally being struck in gold, variations were produced for some of the commemoratives in silver and copper. There seem to be a lot of different designs available from different German states so this is an area you can spend a long time collecting.

Comments

• Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Good looking coin, Germany is a fun collecting field. I hope that I can win a few Brit coins now that you are branching out to include German coins.

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    That is a nice design.

It is easy to pick up new collecting interests as well as trying to stick to your current ones.
    I may be "officially" collecting Colonial coins now. In fact I've gone as far as ordering a Whitman Encyclopaedia of Colonial and Early American Coins after purchasing a couple of Colonials recently.

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    There are a ton of neat coronation jetons from Germany and Austria from this period. And they're still not too hard to find nice and affordable.

That definitely looks like a nice one! image