Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Making high grade 1964 Kennedy

I just bought an unopened roll of 64-D Kennedys. Does anyone have any experience in opening a roll and obtaining high grades out of them? This roll is dated 14 Mar 1965. Thanks!
You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

I got three rolls that I sorted through a while back. Found three submittable examples, a 64, a 65, and a 66. Probably had some more 65's in there, but they weren't worth the effort to submit. The ones I did submit were all end-roll toned pieces. I thought that the 66 had a shot at 67, but overall, the quality was not that great. I put the unused coins in some tubes for the novelty though.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you find one that you know will make MS67 or it's got terrific toning, these just aren't worth making anymore.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I just bought a 64 D bank wrapped roll at Long Beach. The only coin in it worth submitting was an attractively toned end piece. It's a lock MS66. I got a roll of 84 D halves from the same dealer last Long Beach (Oct.) and it yielded 5 MS66 coins. I also got a 69 D in MS66 from the same lot of rolls (my first). I just got a second 69 D in MS66 in my last submission batch (sold).
    By the way Keith...your 66 half icon...mine! I bought a roll (back in Oct. or Nov. 2000) and got 5 MS66 coins from it...all with that great yellow/gold toning (you probably got that one from Mitch as I sold him a couple). I've had a lot of luck with 1966 halves. I think I've graded 8 or 9 total in MS66.
    I agree that clad halves are hot. I saw a 1992 D in MS67 selll for $165 on ebay the other week.
    Good luck with the hunt.
    My website: WWW.telecoin.bizland.com
  • Options
    telecoin,

Nice to know the history. This piece made it to the Langley collections and I picked it up from Mitch when Mitch bought that set. I just placed the coin back in a related set as I picked up a 70-D with some rim toning. Will have to change icons soon.

Keith
    Keith ™