Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Grading toned coins

Is the grading any different from toned coins as it is for normal coins? Do the graders apply weight to eye appeal of toning? The PCGS book is vague about this issue.

Comments

• Options
    Well i was hoping for more incite than that.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Really pretty toning will boost the grade half a point most of the time.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    PCGS has a reputation for grading more strictly by the ANA book, ignoring toning. Archrival NGC will on occasion give a "star" designation next to the grade of a coin with particularly noteworthy toning. Both services have been known to holder a coin reverse-side forward if the reverse has particularly remarkable toning when the obverse does not. The major graders tend to be pretty "tone-deaf," in the sense that they do not allow pretty colors or ugly mottling to modify a coin's underlying merits. (They do count off on grading both copper and gold for dark spots, though.)

While this might seem a bit wrong at first, it does help keep grading objective, and it allows toning to remain a unique feature that keeps coin collecting from being too easily reduced to sight-unseen numbers tracking. Just today, I paid double on an MS64 common date Morgan dollar, because it has such an interesting toned obverse.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As HRH has said when it comes to grading, toning adds a little, but forgives a lot. I have quite a few Morgans hodered reverse up. Normally you have to ask for that, but sometimes they do it on their own. I had a few come back reverse up without my asking and they weren't all that great.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    I agree that fab toning may only add half to a full point to the technical grade. But what it does to the value of a coin depends on the denomination.

For commems and Morgan dollars, that might normally have a value under $500, it can multiply by 3 to 10 times what you might have to pay.

For Barbers, maybe 20% increase.

For Seated, also 20 to 30%

For Indian cents, that are super colorful, ? but will add a nice %

For CBH's, in the AU range, double or more.

In the MS 63 and above range, 30 to 50%.

The less expensive coins will have the largest % increase.
    TahoeDale