Home Sports Talk
Options

Kentucky Derby is coming up, who do you like?

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
I like, in this order:

I Want Revenge
Quality Road
Dunkirk
Friesan Fire

I do not like Pioneer of the Nile. I do not think he is a special horse and until a horse successfully transitions from the synthetic to the dirt I am not going to trust them. I also think the Dubai horses are poseurs.

I like Musket Man to possibly hit the board.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Saturday in May in case anyone was wondering what was the day of the race.

I forget the location...I think it's run at Yonkers Raceway.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I forget the location...I think it's run at Yonkers Raceway. >>

YIKES! Don't bring back those memories! If it were not for Roosevelt, Yonkers, Belmont and Aqueduct back in the day I'd probably be able to give all the BIG BOYS on THE REGISTRY a run for their money! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I was at S/A for the San Felipe & S/A Derby. Pioneer Of The Nile was such a heavy favorite that those races were pretty much not worth wagering on to me. If he gets decent odds on Derby day, I'll look at him.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I forget the location...I think it's run at Yonkers Raceway. >>

YIKES! Don't bring back those memories! If it were not for Roosevelt, Yonkers, Belmont and Aqueduct back in the day I'd probably be able to give all the BIG BOYS on THE REGISTRY a run for their money! LOL >>

Well yes...but through our losses, you and I "improved the breed" as they say. LOL
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

My money is on the Venezuelan polo pony.

Dead!?! What!?!

Scratch that.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derby is Upset Special Day...I'm looking to repeat my 3.5K trifecta win from '08, LOL!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I went to the Santa Anita Derby and Baffert's Pioneer of the Nile was VERY impressive in person.
  • Options
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    no one
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Chocolate Candy
    Pioneer of the Nile
    Dunkirk
  • Options
    any horse whereby the handicapping "geniuses" on TV say can't go the distance. LOL
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I usually bet the field over the favorite exacta. Everyone says wide open, but Pletcher has not won in a couple of years and Dunkirk is his horse. I have to put my money on Dunkirk. Anyone going to the Derby? This will be my first Derby actually at Churchill Downs. Four years on the waiting list. Unfortunately we are right at the starting gate, which makes it difficult to see the end of the race..

We should place one giant PSA board bet and if we win do a group break from BBCE with the winnings.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Quality Road is probably out. I now like Dunkirk and I Want Revenge.

Pioneer of the Nile will have to prove it to me.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    I like Dunkirk. I like his running style (coming from off the pace) for this year's Derby. I also like gray horses (not really sure why).
  • Options
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=aZyQRIBS3qYg&refer=home

Kentucky Derby Betting May Skid as Recession Hits Horse Country
    By Nancy Kercheval

May 1 (Bloomberg) -- Kentucky Derby betting may fall 30 percent as the worst economy in a generation hits Louisville.

With hotel occupancy down 15 percent, the 135th Derby is unlikely to contribute the estimated $70 million to the local economy it usually generates, tourism officials said. Betting on the race, in which I Want Revenge is a 3-1 favorite, may slump by almost a third, Las Vegas oddsmakers said.

“This is a unique circumstance,” said Jim Wood, president and chief executive officer of the Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau. “Usually we’re filled to the rafters with Derby guests.”

Rising unemployment and job insecurity, a lack of available credit, falling property values and declines in retirement savings and other investments have prompted people to reduce spending. Companies are also paring spending on entertainment.

While high rollers and celebrities at the track’s Millionaire’s Row may still have the wherewithal to place large bets, overall gambling is expected to fall short of the $114.6 million wagered on last year’s Derby, won by Big Brown, said Tony Sinisi, an oddsmaker at Las Vegas Sports Consultants, which advises Nevada sports books on gambling lines. That was a 3.3 percent drop from the record $118.4 million staked in 2006, when Barbaro won.

Dunkirk and Pioneerof the Nile are co-second choices at 4- 1, followed by Friesan Fire at 5-1 during tomorrow’s Derby.

“Off of what we’ve seen with the Super Bowl and some other events like March Madness, we expect wagering to be down in the 20 to 30 percent range,” Sinisi said. “There are fewer disposable betting dollars.”

Triple Crown

The Derby is the first leg of the Triple Crown, which also comprises the Preakness Stakes in Baltimore on May 16 and the Belmont Stakes in New York on June 6.

The recession that started in December 2007 means some event organizers are catering to smaller groups. QuintEvents, whose 1,600 Kentucky Derby packages cost from $249 to $10,999, is dealing with corporate clients who are bringing two to four guests instead of as many as 250.

For some, not even the worst recession in at least 50 years will keep them away from the Kentucky Derby.

“Individuals who can afford it are saying, ‘bad economy be damned, I’m going to make this happen this year,’” Dave Schroeder, managing partner of QuintEvents, said in a telephone interview from the company’s headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Derby Hats

Those making the trip still plan to look their best by wearing a traditional Kentucky Derby hat. Two weeks before Derby Day, milliner Larry Olliges found he’d been too conservative with his orders for feathers, silk flowers and netting. The president of Dee’s Craft Inc. in Louisville had to “scramble” to get additional supplies.

“We’re going through 11 pounds of feathers valued at more than $50,000 retail, 3,000 yards of netting and ribbon, I couldn’t even tell you,” Olliges said in an interview. “Sales are up by about 20 percent for the month.”

Olliges and his staff will create 1,500 custom hats, in addition to those he’ll sell off-the-shelf, at an average price of $250.

“The Derby is still a huge fashion event,” he said.

Crystal Hats

Luke Song said sales of his chapeaus have doubled this year since Aretha Franklin brought his work to prominence at the inauguration of President Barack Obama. Among his offerings is a hat with Swarovski crystals for as much as $695.

“Kentucky Derby hat sales are up this year,” the owner of Mr. Song Millinery said in an e-mail from his Detroit showroom. “Despite the recession, the interest in hats is up tremendously.”

This year, not even expensive hats will be able to cover up the most challenging economic environment in at least a half century. The U.S. economy, the world’s largest, has shrunk 3.3 percent since peaking in last year’s second quarter, making this the second-worst recession since the Great Depression.

To contact the reporter on this story: Nancy Kercheval in Washington at nkercheval@bloomberg.net.

Last Updated: May 1, 2009 00:01 EDT
  • Options
    Mud is a great equlaizer...good day to snag a longshot...I like Chocolate Candy and Hold Me Back with Friesan Fire...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Mud is a great equlaizer...good day to snag a longshot...I like Chocolate Candy and Hold Me Back with Friesan Fire... >>

Look for those horses whose mother was a mudder image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mud is a great equlaizer...good day to snag a longshot...I like Chocolate Candy and Hold Me Back with Friesan Fire... >>

Look for those horses whose mother was a mudder image >>

Or father was a mudder?
  • Options
    < Mud is a great equlaizer...good day to snag a longshot...I like Chocolate Candy and Hold Me Back with Friesan Fire... >>

Look for those horses whose mother was a mudder >>

Or father was a mudder?

In Brooklyn, they'd think you were talking about a transvestite with that last sentence, Steve, LOL...

• Options

<< <i>< Mud is a great equlaizer...good day to snag a longshot...I like Chocolate Candy and Hold Me Back with Friesan Fire... >>

Look for those horses whose mother was a mudder >>

Or father was a mudder?

In Brooklyn, they'd think you were talking about a transvestite with that last sentence, Steve, LOL... >>

Yea, but not at Belmont Park or Aqueduct. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>Derby is Upset Special Day...I'm looking to repeat my 3.5K trifecta win from '08, LOL!! >>

Hey, if ya catch a nice big tri for say 50K or so, how about sharing it a little bit and PayPal us regulars here 10 bucks or so - I know I could use the money.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

I Want Revenge is scratched - ankle.
  • Options
    A horse named Secretariat won this Kentucky Derby

• Options

<<<<< good day to snag a longshot >>>>>

You called it right with a longshot.
  • Options
    Friesan Fire, the favorite, finished 42 lengths behind the winner - Good grief.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    I had Chocolate Candy to win .... I hate sloppy tracks! ....

• Options
    Tri was 41.5K - I wasn't far off totally guessing it could be 50K
  • Options
    << Mud is a great equlaizer...good day to snag a longshot...I like Chocolate Candy and Hold Me Back with Friesan Fire... >>

Unfortunately, I picked the wrong one, though. Today's triple makes my $3,600 hit from last year look like a pittance, LOL..

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i><< Mud is a great equlaizer...good day to snag a longshot...I like Chocolate Candy and Hold Me Back with Friesan Fire... >>

Unfortunately, I picked the wrong one, though. Today's triple makes my $3,600 hit from last year look like a pittance, LOL.. >>

Ya shoulda consulted Perry. image
  • Options
    <<< good day to snag a longshot >>>>>

Unfortunately, I picked the wrong one, though. Today's triple makes my $3,600 hit from last year look like a pittance, LOL.. >>

Ya shoulda consulted Perry.

I can't complain...winning 3,600 last year on a $2 bet put me way into the black for years to come...I revoked all my on-line betting accounts and just go to OTB for the big stakes races now...on line accounts are way to insidious for my taste..

• Options

<< <i><<< good day to snag a longshot >>>>>

Ya shoulda consulted Perry.

I can't complain...winning 3,600 last year on a $2 bet put me way into the black for years to come...I revoked all my on-line betting accounts and just go to OTB for the big stakes races now...on line accounts are way to insidious for my taste.. >>

Yes, $3,600 is a nice hit - probably equal to about a years paycheck for you. image
  • Options
    Yes, $3,600 is a nice hit - probably equal to about a years paycheck for you.

A couple hundred more, and I could afford to sit behind home plate at Yankee Stadium, LOL!!! Maybe even get a hot dog and a beer!

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    what a powerful move that horse put on the field!!!

does he have enough for the preakness???
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    oh i forgot
    i love that ticket, is that yours???
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>oh i forgot
    i love that ticket, is that yours??? >>

Was given to me by a sales rep working for the company, Globe Ticket, that printed the tickets. Notice it doesn't have any seat information...it was an overrun that the sales reps gave out as samples, and that was quite a nice sample to give out because Secretariat was a very popular horse. I would have loved to have also had the Belmont ticket but he didn't have any, but of course I was quite appreciative to be given this one.
  • Options

<< <i>what a powerful move that horse put on the field!!!

does he have enough for the preakness??? >>

He'll go off about 4 to 1 in the Preakness, and finish around third or fourth, maybe worse.
  • Options
    Calvin has to be one of the hardest working athletes in sports! You don't see too many athletes "who have made it" working as hard as this guy does. Could you see Manny, A-Rod or _________________ (fill in the blank with any of 100 top athletes) helping the clubhouse guys wash their uniforms or helping the grounds crew with the field?

I'd say this guy has gotten pretty far with only a 6th grade education!

Go get 'em Mr. Borel!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Just got back from the derby. What an experience? I was in line trying to decide who to bet in the exacta and at the last minute I took out the field over #16, which would have cost $24 to bet and would have won me over $2K. Awesome race, but I have to watch it again to see the exact moment where all my hopes and dreams were crushed. I recommend attending to anyone who has not made the trip to Louisville. Great atmosphere and the mint julips weren't bad either.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options

<< <i>Calvin has to be one of the hardest working athletes in sports! You don't see too many athletes "who have made it" working as hard as this guy does. Could you see Manny, A-Rod or _________________ (fill in the blank with any of 100 top athletes) helping the clubhouse guys wash their uniforms or helping the grounds crew with the field?

I'd say this guy has gotten pretty far with only a 6th grade education!

Go get 'em Mr. Borel! >>

How about one of the gutsiest as well - Borel makes it look easy on TV but there's not many jockeys these days who would go through small openings like that, especially on the rail, and I've watched a lot of horse races, a lot, and maybe only Angel Cordero comes to mind with jockey heart equivalent to Calvin Borel.
  • Options
    Steve ... hard to believe that this week marks the 17th anniversary of Angel's retirement. I remember back in the day (when I, like you, unfortunately played the ponies every day ... lol) when Angel and Jorge Valasquez were THE jocks at Belmont and Aqueduct. Great watching those guys ride!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Calvin has to be one of the hardest working athletes in sports! >>>>

That might be the first time I've heard of a jockey called an athlete.

I do agree with your premise though. Great ride by Calvin.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve ... hard to believe that this week marks the 17th anniversary of Angel's retirement. I remember back in the day (when I, like you, unfortunately played the ponies every day ... lol) when Angel and Jorge Valasquez were THE jocks at Belmont and Aqueduct. Great watching those guys ride! >>

Both great jockeys, and I'm too young to know Shoemaker or Arcaro, but the best jockey I ever saw, and to me it's not that close, was Pat Day - He used to sometimes if not often have rides that would astonish me, and I'm not easy to astonish - LOL. Pat's rides were like works of art, and often, as he would do just the right thing at the right time on such a consistent basis, and make it look easy. Naturally he got to ride the best horses and that's part of it, but the jockey still has to know what to do with the horse, and Pat just seemed to always know what to do.