Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico 500 Peso Reverse Doubling

Anyone else find heavy doubling on these older Mexican coins? This one has strong doubling of some sort on the reverse.

I wonder if it is worth much or worth slabbing?

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the silver content on that bigboy?
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    It's slightly larger than a Sacajawea dollar but has no silver. I think it is nickel, I found a 1987 with the same type of doubling but not as heavy.

It looks like they must punch the Estados Unidos Mexicanos by hand and double punched it. Nothing else shows doubling other than that.
  • Options
    Highly unlikely for that to happen in 1988, looks like MD. The mouth of the snake seems to have some doubling too, no?
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options

<< <i>looks like MD >>

Except that in the case of machine doubling, the effect would be in the same direction. In the pictures shown, it appears the lettering is doubled radially away from the center.
  • Options
    You have the classical shelf-like doubling.. not sure if it's loose die, die fatigue, misaligned dies etc. Radially outward really can count as one direction though.

If he claims the Mex mint was punching their lettering into the dies he better have a reference... it seems unlikely for 1988... 1888 I'd buy, 1988 I do not. Again, the head of the snake looks doubled too.
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    A couple of years ago, I had an email conversation with another collector regarding some Mexican errors of this era, one in particular as pictured here:

Here is the response I received:

"On the 1986 $500, if it's flat, I would agree it's probably ejection doubling. This is very common in Mexican coins of this era. Also, a second common variety (of no real collector value) that appears to be a double die, is deteriorated die doubling. This is where the die starts to deteriorate around the areas of maximum stress-the letters and the design. This forms an outline around the elements, usually the letters. Many folks mistake this for a double die. I have seen it extensively on the 1987 and 1988 $500, almost exclusively on the obverse (eagle side)."

FWIW...