Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can we have 2 accounts on the same IP here?

I'm sure it's perfectly fine as I assume, but I just wanted to make 100% sure that I'm not going to violate the rules of a membership that is important to me... would it be OK to have 2 ID's on the same IP here (for a friend who still has dialup, haha)

Comments

  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478 ✭
    I would recommend not getting in any heated arguments with your "friend". image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options


    << <i>I would recommend not getting in any heated arguments with your "friend". image >>



    Trust me, I'm not going to troll on this board... I value my membership here way too much.. It's so my friend can post when she comes over as her computer is a miserable dinosaur
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220 ✭
    Many do... It's funny if you read someones context carefully, you can see the same person.. Or their twin.image


    I just love some members with one line, three to four word responses.. I bet they use spell also.

    After I hit 5,000 posts, I will only use morse code.
  • Options


    << <i>After I hit 5,000 posts, I will only use morse code. >>



    image

    I have noticed different names bumping BST threads before.

    Some forums openly permit it, some outright forbid it. So I need to ask
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220 ✭
    Now this is only a theory!! Don't take any information I give seriously.. I am only on here for one thing.. That's attention.image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good safeguard setting up a second account if you feel you gonna get bammed! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    We do not have specific rules against it but it is possible the second account could get dumped in an ip sweep.
    Also, if the "second" account causes issues the "main" account could be deactivated as well.

    If you are willing to share then you will have some responsibility, if we block an ip because of the friend then it would block you as well.

    Carol
  • Options


    << <i>We do not have specific rules against it but it is possible the second account could get dumped in an ip sweep.
    Also, if the "second" account causes issues the "main" account could be deactivated as well.

    If you are willing to share then you will have some responsibility, if we block an ip because of the friend then it would block you as well.

    Carol >>



    OK, so basically as long as we are both behaving nicely, everything is good?

    Thanks!
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825 ✭
    I signed up from a company computer. Our managed router presents the same external IP address regardless of the internal user (so I'm told). Does that mean my account is associated with my company's IP address? If another employee signs up from our common company, will they have the same IP associated with their account?

    I've always wondered how this works. Neat thread.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I have like 7 accounts...RYK, Longacre, TomB, FC, RGCoinGuy, Broadstruck, and probably a few others. They're all just my alter egos. image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478 ✭
    I just checked my wifes computer, which is run through a router, and it has the same IP as my computer. So I am guessing yes to your questions about work. Now if you have internet access at home and have an issue, you could always sign back up through there.

    If FC sees this thread he can probably give a definitive answer to your question.

    Edited to add image

    I didn't see that I posted right before myself. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825 ✭
    Thank you Rg.

    I have also wondered...

    If my company's router presents the same IP address to external sources, how do incoming packets get sent back to the clients requesting information? For example, I may request pages from this forum, my boss may be downloading iTunes, my co-workers maybe streaming youtube videos (we try not to work too hard here). And some how magically all the packets coming back to my company's single IP address get gathered up by our managed router and sprayed at the correct clients. It's all magic to me and I sure with there were some sort of "for dummies" explaination available.

    Thanks fellas!

    Bob
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭
    rgcoinguy...

    why in the world would i know this answer to this question?
    i have one username and that is that. :-P

    i obviously post whatever i am thinking without the need to hide
    behind a fake account.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478 ✭


    << <i>rgcoinguy...

    why in the world would i know this answer to this question?
    i have one username and that is that. :-P

    i obviously post whatever i am thinking without the need to hide
    behind a fake account. >>



    I was talking about zeebob's question FC (IT Related), sorry I wasn't clear on that!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I signed up from a company computer. Our managed router presents the same external IP address regardless of the internal user (so I'm told). Does that mean my account is associated with my company's IP address? If another employee signs up from our common company, will they have the same IP associated with their account?

    I've always wondered how this works. Neat thread. >>



    what they use is NAT, network address translation, to give every computer
    behind that router access to the internet via one public ip on the router.

    more then likely all the workstations behind the router have a non
    routeable internet ip. like 192.168.0.2.

    so we take one public ip, slap it on the router interface facing the
    internet and translate it back and forth as you make requests to the
    internet.

    so yes.. anyone who signs up behind that router will show up as the
    same IP.

    there are other ways to determine who is who though. like the user
    agent string that web browsers send. if one user was using firefox
    and the other was using opera.. you could basically tell them apart
    by that guess. but it is just a guess. a person could easily use both
    browsers at the same time on the same pc.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Thank you Rg.

    I have also wondered...

    If my company's router presents the same IP address to external sources, how do incoming packets get sent back to the clients requesting information? For example, I may request pages from this forum, my boss may be downloading iTunes, my co-workers maybe streaming youtube videos (we try not to work too hard here). And some how magically all the packets coming back to my company's single IP address get gathered up by our managed router and sprayed at the correct clients. It's all magic to me and I sure with there were some sort of "for dummies" explaination available.

    Thanks fellas!

    Bob >>



    every computer behind that router has a distinct private IP address.
    as you make a request to the internet the router stores these requests
    in a table that can map things back and forth. basically it stores connection data on your outbound request and can use that to determine
    where the inbound packets goto when they return.

  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭


    << <i>
    If my company's router presents the same IP address to external sources, how do incoming packets get sent back to the clients requesting information? >>



    Simple answer: That's why it's called a router.

    More complex answer: The router shows each computer connected to its own IP address -- for Linksys routers, generally 192.168.1.nnn
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825 ✭
    Ah, I get it. Thank you!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I think I'm the only person on these boards without an alt. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374 ✭


    << <i>I think I'm the only person on these boards without an alt. image >>


    No your not Longy...!!!
    ......Larry........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file