Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Topps Phillies Team Card Set and misc Phillies Cards

After about 6-8 months on the VAST list of sets to be added, finally!!

(I know, everyone just couldn't wait!)

Although, they have not yet set the weights for each card so it shows they are all 1.0 right now... Hopefully that gets updated soon to reflect correctly.

My Team Card Set

Comments

• cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    By the way, if anyone has any help for my set, please PM me!

• hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE
    would love to see some photos of your team cards

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    Just bought my first card for the set. I will add it soon. Phillies are my second favorite team behind the O's.

Just a question for you....did you consider non-Topps cards for the set? I saw this one on ebay today and thought it would look good in the set

Jim

Phillies Exhibit
    The Topps issues seem to be the most popular and it was consistent with the other Key Card Sets of Teams.

That is a nice card for sure!

I would like to see how popular the set will be after it has been around a while ...but I guess anyone could request something like a 'master set' of the phillies team cards to include all the crazy leader cards and such.

I hope to see you add your cards and begin the set.. we have 5 people registered so far, and some strong collectors to compete with if that is your flavor.
    Oh by the way, got BJ to have the set weighted. Found out they always start a set un-weighted as a standard practice, but he reviewed and took care of it for us quickly
    Pictures as requestedimage

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Very nice cards. As an avid collector of the 56 set, I'm particularly envious of that one. I know how hard it is to find team cards so well-centered from that year. I also love that 1970 card with the vintage shot of Connie Mack(I think?) Stadium.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Nice Where is 1980?

mrpeanut... 1971 was the "Vet's" first year so I think that was Connie Mack..
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
    I'm missing the 63 and the 1980... funny how there are like 4 times as many 1963's out there then 1980 Phillies Team cards.

If anyone has a raw NM-MT or better I could submit, please PM
  • I could sell you a PSA 8 from my set. Pm me a price

succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
    PM'd
  • 1980 phillies will be on their way to you soon.

Go Phillies
    This is not part of the Set registry but I thought some other Phillies fans might enjoy seeing it.

It's #11 of 21

By the way, I finished the Phillies Team Card Set at 100%...needs some upgrades here and there, but some heavy focus on it resulted in completion faster then imagined.

Go Phillies
    Just added this one
    great addition to my 63 phils team set and my phillies team card collection

hank
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised and dismayed that PSA will not allow the 1951 Topps Team sets to be included in the Team Card Set Registries -- the 1951 Topps Team set seems to precisely fit into the mold of what these Registry Sets were designed for.

I do not agree with this decision!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Marc,

Did they give you a reason? I personally would be fine with adding it and agree it seems to fit as it is Topps issued...
    Mind you that I think Cosetta is pretty much top notch...Love the group; disagree with the decision

Hi Marc,

The key-card team card sets only consist of team cards from the basic Topps set. We do not include Topps Teams or the later issued Topps Team Checklist cards in these types of sets. That is the reason your request was denied.

Thank you,

Cosetta Robbins

Assistant Set Registry Manager

Collectors Universe Inc.

(800) 325-1121 ext #148

(949) 833-7660 fax

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:18 AM
    To: Set Registry
    Subject: Re: Set Registry Composite Item Request Denied
    - Hide quoted text -

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope that all my friends at PSA have a great Turkey Day.

I was hoping that you could help me understand this decision more to deny this card from this set:

The Set Name is:

"Topps Philadelphia Phillies Team Cards"

* This card was produced by Topps
    * This card depicts the Philadelphia Phillies team
    * This was a mainstream issue -- one of the four issues Topps distributed in 1951.

I would greatly appreciate any rationale you can provide for this being excluded.

Thanks, as always, for your help-
    Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Congratulations on completing your set. What an outstanding accomplishment; and thanks for the scans. They remind me of the good ole days!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

.... 1981 TOPPS GIANT PHOTO CARDS - PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES - 12 CARD SET

.... $1 (PLUS $2.28 POSTAGE)

.... I DO HAVE MULTIPLE SETS (FIRST COME FIRST SERVED)

.... NO, I'M NOT DOING IT FOR THE BREAD! LOL!

.... (IN FACT, IT'S A "PAIN IN MY BEHIND" PUTTING THESE TOGETHER FOR YOU.)

.... BUT I'LL DO IT FOR YOU PHILLIES FANS! (DAMMMMIT! I'M A YANKEES FAN!)

.... HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

.... rd ..... RBDJR@YMAIL.COM (OR "PM" ME)

*** MIKE SCHMIDT ***

*** PETE ROSE ***

*** STEVE CARLTON ***

*** TUG McGRAW ***

*** LARRY BOWA ***

*** DEL UNSER ***

*** GREG LUZINSKI ***

*** GARRY MADDOX ***

*** BAKE McBRIDE ***

*** BOB BOONE ***

*** MANNY TRILLO ***

*** DICK RUTHVEN ***

just got this one back from psa
    i have had no luck on ebay with any others i am in need of, so i am very happy with this on, bought raw on ebay

2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
    Nice pickup!

I just subbed a few, and was able to score a 10 on the 2004 Team card I submitted. No other 10s though. I did recently upgrade my 1975 Mini Phillies team card. I'm happy to add that one. Given all the 1975 Mini that has become available over the past 12-24 months, and the fact that 10 populations have not exploded, I'm guessing that this will remain a tough one to add:

Set Composite

Anyone know why the 2009 and 2010 Phillies Cards were removed from the Set Composite?
    hmmm... not sure about why the 2010 was removed but the 2009 Topps #278 was not truely a team card as it was technically a Post Season highlights Card and not all teams were represented as Team Cards in 2009. I will inquire with the registry set team about the 2010 removal since it actually was the Team Card...unless they considered it a team leader card instead like Topps did in 1982 until 2001...those are not considered the traditional team cards either. 2011 is supposed to have Team Cards again, so will see if that is the traditional team picture or not.
    Marc,

Cosetta responded saying the 2009 and 2010 Cards were added in error and they are not consistent with the Team Card Composite for this set.

I got the same e-mail. The logic doesn't make sense to me when that same logic would dictate that the 1951 Topps Teams card can be added. All this said, since we're the collectors of this team set, shouldn't the Registry composition reflect what we think it should? <Sigh> Clearly from this thread, I'm not the only one who believes that the 2010 ought to be added.
    I was originally excited to see the 2009 and 2010 cards added, even if in error as it turned out...

I reached out to Cosetta to find out more about why added and taken away and then looked at the different cards that are included versus those not included that could have been.

I think the argument is different for both issues you mention, Marc.

I now do NOT agree the 2009 and 2010 Topps cards should have been included in the Team Card Composite and remain since there was no 2009 topps team cards issued by Topps and the card in question was truley a post season highlight card(titled as such and not the whole team pictured) and not for the purposes of a team card by Topps.

The 2010 Topps #134 is actually a Team Leader Card and not a Team Card.(see 1982 Topps card #636 Rose/Carlton pictured) This too only pictures 4 players and is not a team card in the sense the rest of this specific composite is comprised.

The argument I see against the 1951 Topps team card made was that there were no other cards made in 1951 in the same style as the 1956 Topps and up where Team Cards were only a part of the set and not basically the whole set. Again, I think Cosetta is trying to keep this specific composite of the Registry Set consistent and after thinking about her response, I feel I agree more with her position then other positions on the matter.

If it ever came to a vote of the members of the set, I think I would ultimately vote 'nay' for the additions of the 1951, 2009 and 2010 Cards in question.

Here is my Recommendation:
    To have ALL of these cards considered in a Set Registry to include the 1951 Topps, 1982 - 2000 Topps Cards, 2009 & 2010 Topps intended to highlight the Phillies Leaders as well as some more obscure cards pre-1951, I would recommend we request a new Key Card Set called something like, 'Master Phillies Team Card Set'? It would be Topps and all others who made cards with multiple Phillies members on the front regardless of what is on the reverse, thinking bigger...maybe anything would be fair game that is not considered a Phillies Player Card? (1982 Fleer #641 Phillies' Finest Card featuring Schmidt, Lonnie Smith and Carlton would be an example) Not a Team Card, but certainly not a player card either and celebrates the Phillies in general. Cards like that could be included.

I would support and fully participate in a set like this as it would be a ton of fun to gather and honor my favorite team and with not just traditional team cards, but all sorts of unique cards of players that were once or always phillies.
    Would be nice to also include some of the pre-war examples. T200 Fatima, K-Bats, and Lorrilard all come to mind. 1975 Topps Mini also comes to mind.

I just collect differently than the Registry -- and it seems to me that at least two people (here on this thread) have the 2009/2010 cards, which goes to my point. As for 1951 Topps Teams, I would say that the set composite is specifically "Team Cards made by Topps, featuring a team picture". I don't see why 1951 Topps Teams would not qualify, particularly given that they were distributed alongside the other 1951 Topps cards.

Anywho -- I digress, and I'll continue to collect the way I like, I guess. It's sometimes too easy to be caught up in Registry silliness, and part of the reason that I enjoy having a significant part of my pre-war collection in something other than PSA holders.