Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A darkside visit...

Another poster has an avatar that I've long thought a nice design but never knew what it was so I finally asked. Then a quick snoop on ebay and I found quite a few examples and put in a minimum bid on one that ended up being high bid. It arrived yesterday and while not great it looks pretty nice... (for a 4 dollar coin)

Do you think this is an old attempt at AT or do these tone up like this? Most of the ones on ebay were all bright white. Thanks for any comments:

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup, you often find the French pieces nicely toned so I would guess it's original. Although one should really never guess from a photo.
  • Options
    It looks natural to me. Does it still cartwheel?
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside, brother! And congrats on your first coin, a timelessly beautiful design and in excellent original condition.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Even under the toning you still get a sense of the luster. I wouldn't say it cartwheels though. It does look nice in hand.

I've caught myself looking at other darkside stuff for sale now. I don't know anything about it so it will be fun.