Home U.S. Coin Forum

A big Thank You to GritsMan!

I was one of the winners of his new book, and he was nice enough to sign it to my stepson. It already showed up in the mail nicely made out to Cody, I am sure he is going to love it! The book looks great, and although I can't give a Longacre/RYK review on it since I have not read it, it does look to be a great young adult book from first glance.

If anyone missed it, the book is called Double Eagle, and is a 245 page hardcover. image

Edited because I type too fast sometimes. image
imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

Comments

• Looking forward to getting mine image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was one of the winners of his new book, and he was nice enough to sign it to my stepson. It already showed up in the mail nicely made out to Cody, I am sure he is going to love it! The book looks great, and although I can't give a Longacre/RYK review on it since I have not read it, it does look to be a great young adult book from first glance.

If anyone missed it, the book is called Double Eagle, and is a 245 hardcover. >>

Glad you got it rgCG! BTW, what is a 245 hardcover? I've been publishing for 26 years and never heard of that! The dimensions, perhaps? Oh, wait. The number of pages...I'm a little slow.

BTW, the book just got a great review in Booklist, which is always an important test... Everyone else ought to have theirs in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the interest!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • I also was one of the folks who won a book and received it today. Looks very interesting Gritsman!

Thanks again Gritsman for this cool item. I will start reading it this weekend.

Ed
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I didn't win no damn book. So maybe someone can tell the forum the plot of the book.image

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't win no damn book. So maybe someone can tell the forum the plot of the book.image >>

Ha! Ya-Ha!

Below is a review from Kirkus. What the reviewers fail to mention is that the double eagle the boys find is a Confederate 1861-O double eagle. That would mean more to people here than to most. Anyway, here's the review...

While visiting his father on a barrier island near Mobile, Ala., 13-year-old Mike Gilbert finds a friend, a gold coin, lost treasure and more excitement than he’d bargained for. This suspenseful adventure opens with an introductory section describing the last run of the Skink, a paddle-wheel steamer escaping New Orleans in 1862. More than 100 years later, in June 1973, a salvage boat searches for the wreck just offshore, while Mike and Kyle explore a crumbling Civil War fort where they find a gold coin that might have been part of the load the Skink carried. Not surprisingly, the boys attract the attention of other treasure seekers, some of them armed. Although the setup requires some historical background and coin-collecting details, Mike’s first-person narration moves along quickly, the action spiraling to a climactic confrontation just before a devastating hurricane. A final chapter—a news story dated November 2009—allows readers to imagine a highly satisfactory ending. Reluctant readers carried along by the plot will encounter some interesting history along the way. (Thriller. 10-14)
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, we want more of the plot. Sounds like a Disney- type movie to me. Congrats on getting the book published. Mayve if there are enough sales we can have a giveaway of one of those double eagles!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just read the sequel, now out, to the first: this one is called "Cartwheel" and involves an intriguing coinquest for a rare coin, as well as a character that is not to far off of Dan Carr.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.

It sounds interesting.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file