Comments

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news.image
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news indeedimage

3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I am shocked and saddened by this. Wayne and I used to PM and talk about coins and things. He was also so supportive of my finds which gave me great encouragement!
    This really, really saddens me.
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    I did not know him personally, but always enjoyed his posts. It is always sad to lose someone. We will all miss him as well as his famly. He was a great contributor to the forum.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Here was his website.... http://www.internationalcoins.net/
    Maybe someone can contact the family and let them know about it. Maybe they can keep it up and running or do something with it?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear, he will surely be missed on this forum.
    My heart and prayers go out to his family...
    Jim

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    He never let on that he was sick. The Chinese Lion he sent to me will be mine forever. Going to miss him for sure.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    This is very sad news, Wayne was always one of the good guys here.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    I noticed on Wayne's website that there is an email link. I don't know if his family will ever read his emails, but if they do, it might be nice to run across a few reflecting our common sense of loss. His family probably already knows Wayne was well thought of by people over the planet, but just in case they don't know, a quick email would inform them.

Bob
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to his family. I only knew him through his posts, but he seemed like a very nice guy.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear of his passing.
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Sad news. RIP Wayne, and my condolences to his family.
    Joe
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I will miss him, this is very sad news. image
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Very,very sad news. Wayne was instrumental in my ship collecting theme. He will be missed.

Shep
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll miss him as well.

He always seemed to have something interesting to say or show and was always a true gentleman.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    This is a huge loss! Wayne was such an overly humble and helpful guy!
    He'd sent me items without being asked since his first message to me in 2003 filling countless holes in my collection, increasing my knowledge with his numerous numismatic posts and proving humankind still has its unblemished gem BUs out there.
    Rest in Peace my friend.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Roy

• Options
    A rather shocking bit of news on my first forum visit after a week in the Carribean without internet access!

My condolences to the family of a real gentleman.
    Roy

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not know Wayne but I certainly enjoyed his posts.
    My condolences to his friends and to his family members.
    May he rest in Peace.
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear.
    John
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IT'S BEEN A MONTH AND I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?!?

Oh, man.

This just totally took the wind out of my sails.

I gotta go. Too upset to type right now.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I might as well publicly post the final PM, out of hundreds of them. I won't remove him from my PM buddy list, though.

<< <i>Wayne, buddy, I know you aren't reading this, and it is sad to send this final PM, but farewell, my friend, and rest in peace. You will be very much missed. image >>

This one has hit me hard, folks. Really hard. More than Frank or any of the other past forum friends who've gone on. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    This is the first I've heard of this too and it is darn sad. I didn't know him other then from his posts here, but I had a lot of respect for him, he never wrote anything other then helpful, constructive contributions to this place.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Wayne was a kind and generous man. He will be missed.
    The outpouring of condolences here just show how highly he was thought of.
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Wayne had an eye for the common but attractive coin, just decent examples that pleased him.

It didn't matter if it was a $1 coin or a $50 coin or whatever, he posted the image and was pleased and would discuss it.

That, to me, was the common (but pure) coinage of coin collecting.

He will truely be missed as he knew his fate and yet calmly accepted it.

Au revoir mon ami.

ed for punc.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    He was the humblest Internet poster I've ever encountered.

Sometimes I used to kid him about it. "Stop being so humble, Wayne," I'd say.

He identified himself as a "Newbie" here and elsewhere, though we all know he was anything but. Yet he had that freshness of vision so many newbies have: never jaded or bored. Like Laurent said, he enjoyed a $1.00 coin as much as a $50.00+ coin, and would extol their virtues equally. He was a true collector, in the best sense of the word, and a fine man in every sense.

Though I never met him physically, I got to know him fairly well over the past several years here, and we'd talk and do business together often.

I really miss him.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    It is hard to believe that Wayne isn't here posting photos of his latest ship coin. There have been so many nice things said about him in this thread and thay are all true and then some, he really was one of the kindest and most humble people on this forum. Like Frank, Wayne will remain on my buddy list for as long as I am here.

One story comes to mind about Wayne the I think sums up the kind of guy he was. I don't think I have told this to anyone before, but in 2003 my wife and I were living in Charleston, SC a few hundred miles away from any family or friends. I had exchanged a few PMs with Wayne that day before leaving for work and we had just setteled a deal on a coin that I was going to sell him. After I had been at work for a couple of hours my wife came walking into the office with a somber look on her face, she had never come to the office before so I knew right away that something was very wrong. As it turned out my grandfather who I was very close to had passed away in Asheville, NC that morning. We went home, packed and drove to Asheville as soon as we could. That night or the next day I sent Wayne a PM telling him that there would be a delay in me mailing his coin out because of my grandfather. We exchanged a few more PMs and I explained how close my grandfather and I were, how he was more like me than anyone else in the world, how my grandfather loved chess and passed that love along to me and so on. About two weeks later I got a package in the mail from Norway, Wayne knew that I collected British coins and bought a coin on eBay for me to show his concern. That act of kindness from a man in Norway who I had never met really touched me and every time I look at that coin it brings back pleasant memories of my grandfather and of Wayne. Wayne was a class act!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Newbie was a friend of mine both here and on another forum....I'll parrot what others have said, a finer, more decent, caring man that was my friend....We all miss you Newbie...We all miss you.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    very sad to hear

my thoughts are with everyone who was touched by his life
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Very sad news. My most sincere condolences to the family and friends.
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    That is sad. I didn't know him at all except through his posts, but am glad that he had a hobby to be passionate about. I'll bet that extends the lives of most of us here--and did for newbiecollector as well!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I've been to busy elsewhere to have been paying attention to these threads hence this late reply.

RIP Wayne. I hope that your family pulls through OK. image
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>It is hard to believe that Wayne isn't here posting photos of his latest ship coin. There have been so many nice things said about him in this thread and thay are all true and then some, he really was one of the kindest and most humble people on this forum. Like Frank, Wayne will remain on my buddy list for as long as I am here.

One story comes to mind about Wayne the I think sums up the kind of guy he was. I don't think I have told this to anyone before, but in 2003 my wife and I were living in Charleston, SC a few hundred miles away from any family or friends. I had exchanged a few PMs with Wayne that day before leaving for work and we had just setteled a deal on a coin that I was going to sell him. After I had been at work for a couple of hours my wife came walking into the office with a somber look on her face, she had never come to the office before so I knew right away that something was very wrong. As it turned out my grandfather who I was very close to had passed away in Asheville, NC that morning. We went home, packed and drove to Asheville as soon as we could. That night or the next day I sent Wayne a PM telling him that there would be a delay in me mailing his coin out because of my grandfather. We exchanged a few more PMs and I explained how close my grandfather and I were, how he was more like me than anyone else in the world, how my grandfather loved chess and passed that love along to me and so on. About two weeks later I got a package in the mail from Norway, Wayne knew that I collected British coins and bought a coin on eBay for me to show his concern. That act of kindness from a man in Norway who I had never met really touched me and every time I look at that coin it brings back pleasant memories of my grandfather and of Wayne. Wayne was a class act! >>

That sounds so true to his character. More than once he surprised me like that.

• Options
    My heart hurts! May his soul rest in eternal peace, and I pray that his family be granted the strength to bear this. He will be dearly missed!