Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

let's see some copper that has been treated with blue ribbon

darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
It used to be pretty common to use it and I see many copper coins posted that have obviously been treated with it but I don't think the owners are aware of it. Here are a few of mine. image

Comments

• Options
    These were treated about 15 years ago.
  • Options
    I am assuming that Blue Ribbon is a type of cleaner? Is it a preservative too? Haven't seen it before, was wondering if it shows on the surface of the coin, or just in the fact that the devices are all debris free?
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Blue Ribbon is the best thing that ever happened to old copper

Ray
  • Options
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Blue Ribbon the same thing as MS70 Cleaner?

peacockcoins

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is my understanding that Blue Ribbon doesn't turn copper blue.
  • Options

<< <i>Is Blue Ribbon the same thing as MS70 Cleaner? >>

No. Blue Ribbon is applied to copper AFTER the MS 70. 70 removes the debris, turning the copper various shades of blue/purple, while the Blue Ribbon restores the color back to it's previous state while protecting the surfaces.

Gary
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    From the description: " As an oil-based lubricant, it leaves a film behind to protect the coin."

Would this cause a coin to get BB or Genuine holdered?
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From the description: " As an oil-based lubricant, it leaves a film behind to protect the coin."

Would this cause a coin to get BB or Genuine holdered? >>

My understanding is that if it's detectable, it will be sufficient cause to BB the coin. Even though "Blue Ribbon restores the color back to it's previous state," a trained eye will in most cases be able to discern that the surfaces are not 100% original.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>From the description: " As an oil-based lubricant, it leaves a film behind to protect the coin."

Would this cause a coin to get BB or Genuine holdered? >>

My understanding is that if it's detectable, it will be sufficient cause to BB the coin. Even though "Blue Ribbon restores the color back to it's previous state," a trained eye will in most cases be able to discern that the surfaces are not 100% original. >>

The majority of copper purists would abhor the thought of submitting their coins to a TPG. The use of Blue Ribbon or Care is considered by purists to be more integral to the preservation of their coins than a plastic capsule with an opinion affixed to it.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

not even close. BR is a solvent just like acetone is a solvent and does not affect copper surfaces. BR has an oil base though that can protect the surfaces of copper, but it can leave a sheen. I prefer to use BR to remove crud and PVC on copper, then rinse it away with acetone. You would not know any of my copper has been treated.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i confess to buying a bottle several years ago, i think in 2002 or whenever the ANA was in Baltimore, although i've never used it. i figured that since it isn't available i better get it just in case. another product i'm curious about is "Deller's Darkener" for restoring the color to copper. how effective is that, has anyone ever used it??
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I believe this one has. I have talked to a couple of copper guys who think so too.

imageimage
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i confess to buying a bottle several years ago, i think in 2002 or whenever the ANA was in Baltimore, although i've never used it. i figured that since it isn't available i better get it just in case. another product i'm curious about is "Deller's Darkener" for restoring the color to copper. how effective is that, has anyone ever used it?? >>

It would appear that WizardCoinSupply has Blue Ribbon Conditioner for sale.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few large cents that are corroded, and almost every EAC'r that you talk to recommends using blue ribbon to prevent further corrosion. Also, most EAC'rs dont care if a coin is slabbed, so body bags really don't matter.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

No. Blue Ribbon is applied to copper AFTER the MS 70. 70 removes the debris, turning the copper various shades of blue/purple, while the Blue Ribbon restores the color back to it's previous state while protecting the surfaces.

Gary >>

+1

As I'm sure you know, it is also applied to coins independently of MS70. Also, in my experience it doesn't completely get rid of the blue color, but it does subdue it to a large extent.

Respectfully...Mike

p.s. I'll try and find a good example of a blue-ribbon piece of copper and post it to this thread.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    Blue ribbon contains a solvent for cleaning circulated copper and an oil for protecting copper surfaces. If you want to submit a treated coin to a TPG, you can completely remove it with an acetone rinse and never know it had been there, except for the crud it removed. I've never had problems with it on brown copper. That said, my belief is that it shouldn't be used on red or red brown copper coins. In my experience it does cause some color change on those types of coins, and not for the good. It seems to dull reds and make them more brownish, something you don't really want.
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK folks, let’s get real, both are used to hide problems on coins and attempt to get them into plastic preferably at higher grades do to better eye appeal. I always give my cents a soak in acetone to remove the crud between the letters. This includes those cents in other TPG holders. That @#$%^&amp;* Dellers Darkerner crap always turns the Qtip brown because of the stuff left on the coin.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Just thought some might like to see these pics.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't know if it was treated with blue ribbon but................its blueimage

Stefanie

image >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file