Home Stamps Forum

What's your opinion on this cover?

I actually saw this in an APS sales circuit, and scanned it because it was so interesting. I'm wondering if you think the stamp (24 cent 1868 scott 78?) really originated on this cover or not? What could possibly cost 24 cents to mail within Texas?

From the notations on the cover it would clearly seem to have something to do with a court case. Unfortunately, there is no letter inside the cover.

Matt

Comments

• coverscovers Posts: 624
    Not a grilled stamp - too early - a #78. The rate is eight times 3c because it was overweight - contained heavy court documents. Probably genuine.

STOLEN COVER though. ALL court house covers such as this were stolen at some point in time from the court house (prima facia evidence). As a result they could be subject to replevin. Although many dealers and collectors don't care, I will not buy or sell any cover addressed to a courthouse. I would value only for the faded and probably creased stamp.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Thanks Richard. All very interesting. Its listed at $75 if anyone wants to take a chance on it. I have the circuit for 5 more days.

Matt
  • coverscovers Posts: 624
    Matt - It isn't really a "chance" on it as far as authenticity - when I said "probably genuine" - that means 98% chance of genuine in this case.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • I know. I meant that with respect to the 'stolen property' issue.

Matt