Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would You Pay a Substantial Fee to have PCGS put your trophy coin in a new REGENCY HOLDER?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
What a distinctive slab.....today a hefty premium, just for the slab..what is it nearly 500$??

But would you Pay PCGS a big fee if they reintroduced the Regency Slab, and you could put your very finest five, six figure coins in them?

Would you pay $300 for a regency for your regrade?

I would have my cameo proof bufflo nickel in that thing in a heartbeat!! ..an then the MS67 Saint....so on and so on image

Even a proof gold dollar!

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    No way and having seen one of these slabs in person they are just as unaesthetic as the next slab. I find it hilarious that folks justify overpaying for a coin because of the type of plastic holder that surrounds it.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    A small price to pay for a BIG coin. In all seriousness, having the right holder adds value to coins, and if that takes a $300 Regency holder, then so be it.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's all I need...an even bigger holder for my diminutive coins image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but you can carry it around with you everywhere and admire it...people will just think you are talking into your cell phone, or looking at the LCD!

Seriously, the slab is a protective device which now has no art value whatever. This slab goes that little step extra, displaying fine art within a distinctive frame.

People like something different now and then, and picking up ideas from the past isn't always a bad idea......
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    What does Rick-o have to say about this?
    Paul
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    Considering what little value my collection has thus far :-) No!

Would I if I had multi-thousand dollar coins? No!

Would I if they made improvements that were aesthetically pleasing? Sure, why not. But I see nothing wrong with their current generic slabs. Sort of like to keep everything in a similar sized slabbed. OCD like that. :-)
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Oh hell no!
    imageRIP
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

<< <i>that's all I need...an even bigger holder for my diminutive coins image >>

Heh. Just think how a Panama Pill would look in one.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    No more than I'd pay extra for "First Strike" or any other gimmicks designed to get more money for the same coin.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No....right now the Regency holders command a premium because they are a scarce non current issue. That being said, they are scarce and non current because there was not a big demand for them before and my opinion is that nothing has changed in that regard. Sure one collector might like some or all his/her coins in a Regency but I think not enough to make a market in them. Plus I don't have any five figure coins... image

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

while certainly not the biggest waste of money in history, in the numismatic world, that would certainly be up there.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll put your holder in a "Certified Estate" holder for $50 image

I looked up the cert and the additional info isn't displayed. I would think for $300, you'd also be paying for some extra database and web work, but apparently not.

$300, Mr. Kaye I'm sure could afford it and having the provenance is great, however, even at $300 I would hope he cut a deal with PCGS to get them for less. a fancier label and a bit more effort on the label wording doesn't seem worth it.

How about for an extra $15?

would you go for it for those keepers?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Not a chance. They look like hell.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Buy some books, or take the ANA grading class or donate the $300 to a good charity - why would any sane person pay that for some stupid piece of plastic? What a waste!
  • Options
    I have to use common sense at some point. Give me a nice coin. Period.
    Very Positive BST Experience with: guitarwes, ibzman350, jmcu12, Bamafan27, OnlyGoldIsMoney
    Reference: Coin Links
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    No, I would pay a big fee if they introduced the edge view holder with some kind of label viewable from the top to get all my coins re-slabbed.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You present a strong case with your question.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    I just saw a regency holder a few minutes ago on Penny Lady's Site.. I'd not seen one before. And 20 minutes latter, I see this thread. Weird...

No, I don't think I'd pay a premium for this holder. I don't see how it would be any different than the normal PCGS holder. Same Graders, Same Opinion - why pay more. (besides the usual PCGS holder is much prettier).

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be that a large factor as to why folks clamor for the Regency slab is that there are so few available and people do not often see these holders. If they were much more common, I would bet that the foaming at the mouth that is seen on the boards would likely subside quite a bit. These were available for a premium fee of something like $35 until 1994-1995 when PCGS discontinued them because they did not sell well.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>that's all I need...an even bigger holder for my diminutive coins image >>

Heh. Just think how a Panama Pill would look in one. >>

My Regency holder has an 1852 double punched date $1 gold coin which, at 13mm, is the smallest US coin ever produced. It looks like it's lost in that big holder.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Regency slabs bring a premium because they are relatively rare and unusual. If PCGS brought them back, they would loose their premium. What would happen if the mint found the original dies for the 1916 SLQ and started to mass produce them for the collector market? What would the originals be worth?

• Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    The Regency Slab looks like something QVC would come out with to con litle ol' ladies out of their $$$

(IF) PCGS offered a Black Slab, I'd be willing to fork over a few $$
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, that slab looks like it is from the '70s. Groovy.....NOT!!!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Well they are pretty impressive looking, all that plastic and paper, must cost them a fortune!image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I wanted my trophy coin in a trophy holder, I'd have one custom made to my specifications with optically coated plastic or glass for ease of viewing.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I wouldn't for the Regency holder, but I wouldn't mind an additional charge if I could select the background color of the label, style and design of the lettering on the label and the coloring of the slab itself.

It would be nice to have the slab really compliment the coin

The added eye appeal and over all aesthics would be worth some premium to me.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Did ICG steal the colors from PCGS that they now use.. That slab looks awful familiar..image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Notice that the curved sides make it look like a coffin---a coin coffin.

• Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>Buy some books, or take the ANA grading class or donate the $300 to a good charity - why would any sane person pay that for some stupid piece of plastic? What a waste! >>

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    Stick with the coin just in a 2*2 and help a YN build up their library and knowledge. Or you could look at the Penny Lady's website, see the regency holder with an indian cent for sale for 1200...then see the same coin for sale at eye appealing coins for 1850....so who has the coin?

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> you could look at the Penny Lady's website, see the regency holder with an indian cent for sale for 1200...then see the same coin for sale at eye appealing coins for 1850....so who has the coin? >>

Ruh-roh!! Maybe Ray H. could address this question? image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't but I do happen to have one of those coins.

I guess mine isn't a "specimen"

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blast from the past . .an old thread.

The Regency Holder is a piece of history. You collect it or acquire it for that reason. It has little to do with the coin involved, but a lot to do with the relative rarity of the plastic and the time-frame involved in the production.

My first Regency should be arriving soon, and I paid a good premium for it. I just want the piece of PCGS history . . .

Drunner

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummm, no. A slab I would pay a couple of extra dollars for....one that is scratch proof. That has value!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    That slab is not very eye appealing.
  • Options
    Kitsch.image
  • Options
    I'd say no, because then I'd have a coin that doesn't fit in the box with the others.

As for looking like a cell phone, I often thought Morgan dollars in NGC holders looked like iPods. You've got the coin as the click wheel, and you're listening to "MS65PL" by progressive rock group, "Numismatic Guaranty Corporation." Just make sure David Hall and the Professional Coin Grading Service (see bottom paragraph) are also on your playlist.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But would you Pay PCGS a big fee if they reintroduced the Regency Slab, and you could put your very finest five, six figure coins in them?

Sounds like a restrike. No. I'm not crazy about the new Camaro, Challenger or Mustang either.
    Lance.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. It would not fit in my box of 20.

• Options

No.
    BGG
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pay a little more, but not 10 times more.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a hideous looking slab...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    "...relatively rare and unusual..."

So it leprosy.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Nope.

Mike
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought a custom PCGS holder made of real glass and silver would be worth the fee for neat coins.

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file