Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

All-Time Chicago Bears Set

Hello evreryone,

The All-Time Chicago Bears Set is now on-line.

I would like to tell you how I came to the checklist for the players.
In THE CHICAGO BEARS A 75-YEAR CELEBRATION by Richard Whittingham on pages 136-139 it lists the all-decade teams for the Bears from the '20's to the '80's.
The book states the all-decade teams were decided by a poll of pro football historians, sportswriters and broadcasters, and other authorities on the history of the team.
To cut down on the checklist I eliminated anyone that did not have at least one AP or pro-bowl appearance.
I used the website Pro-Football-Refrence.com to look up each player's post season accomplishments.
For the decade of the '90's, I had to put that together myself, using the formula from the previous decades, be the best at your position for the decade and have at least one AP or pro-bowl appearance. I didn't submit players for the present decade because I submitted the checklist last Sep. or Oct. and wanted to take last season into consideration before submitting players from this decade.

I realize this is not a maistream set and might only be for the hard-core Bears fan and I'm fine with that, but I hope some of the other Bears fans will join the set.
In the future if there are a number of people in the set and they want to put Brian Piccolo in or the whole '85 stating line-up or Jay Cutler, LOL, I'm fine with that. I used this formula to get a set up, where it goes from here is up to anyone who wants to join the set.

Thanks and GO BEARS!
Tom

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you have to include all the 85 Bears starters that have cards, and the Pic is a necessity as well. I would give Cutler a year or two to see what he does before you add him. As a Saints fan I bet people that Richard Todd and Heath Shuler might be saviors coming over to New Orleans, but neither panned out.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    if i were you i would wait awhile before putting cutler in the set. otherwise it gets diluted really fast. you wouldnt want him to be mark prior or kerry woods do ya?? just like it would have been a little soon to but favre on an all time jets set last fall. let him get a body of work in that bear jersey first. though from my point of view i hope he ends up like nearly all the qb's down here since luckman.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I was just kidding on the Cutler.
    If he's the real deal Jay, you'll know what I went through the past decade watching Favre, lol.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    While I won't be trying to complete this set, I have quite a few cards that fit, so I jumped in to help your numbers...I always feel the more collectors on a set the better!

I like what you did with it and the methodology you used to put it together. Very nice job.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i too like the way you did it. for the packer hof set its a little easier as an outside panel picks the players (ala the pro hof). we just have to pick the cards. so if cutler makes it in the future would you put his bronco rc or would you want a card of him with the bears?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Thanks Jason, that means alot coming from someone who put alot of these together.
    Thanks Jay, I wish we had a Bears hall of fame like you have in Green Bay. My parents took me to the one in the old building when I was about ten when we took all our vacations in Wis., lol.
    I think if Cutler gets into the set I would use the best RC like we do in all the other key card and HOF sets. I think it would be his '06 Topps Chrome card. It dosen't bother me if he has a Broncos jersey on. Someone told me the Bears travel to Green Bay to open up the season on Sunday night, I can't wait.
  • Options
    I know you waited on this decade's players, but I think Urlacher belongs in the set regardless. I also think Kevin Butler should be included in the set. He is, after all, the Bears all-time leading scorer.

Otherwise I love the set, and will be jumping in!
  • Options
    Thanks Zeeck.
    Urlacher's a shoe-in after this season and the end of the decade if we want to keep that formula going.
    There were a number of players that surprised me as to not having the min. requirement of one pro-bowl appearance:
    Ed O'Bradovich
    Larry Morris
    Doug Buffone
    Doug Plank
    Tom Thayer
    Kevin Butler
  • Options
    I have already registered my set. I am excited to try to finish this one.
    Thanks for all the hard work you put into it.
    I agree, Urlacher should definately be included.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    Thanks Vincent,

Here are some other players I think have a good shot at going in from this decade and what I think would be there best RC:
    Ruben Brown '95 Finest #212
    Olin Kreutz '02 UD XL #96
    Lance Briggs '03 Bowman #120
    Devin Hester '06 Topps Chrome #252

The RC selection for this set is just like the other Key card and HOF sets. No signature cards and min. of 999 serial #.
    Also they have to be approved RCs by Beckett or PSA will shoot them down. For example I put Bill Wade's RC in the C/L as '55 Bowman #78, thinking the '51 Topps Magic set to be an odd ball set, but not to Beckett. I should have known better with the '51 Topps Magic Vic Janowicz being in the Heisman RC set.
  • Options
    Hello All,

The decade is over and it is time to look at who will be added to the All-Time Bears set from the last decade.

I have compiled a list of candidates with the minimum reqirements being, be the best at your position for the decade and have a minimum of one AP or Pro-Bowl appearance:

2000-2009 BEARS FOR INCLUSION TO THE ALL-TIME BEARS SET

CANDIDATES:

1991 SCORE SUPPLEMENTAL 18T TED WASHINGTON
    2001 AP, PRO-BOWL

1995 FINEST 212 RUBEN BROWN
    PRO-BOWL 2006

1999 BOWMAN CHROME 188 JERRY AZUMAH
    PRO-BOWL 2003

1999 SP AUTHENTIC 141 MARTY BOOKER
    PRO-BOWL 2002

2000 BOWMAN CHROME 260 MIKE BROWN
    AP 2001, PRO-BOWL 2005

2000 SP AUTHENTIC 122 BRIAN URLACHER
    AP 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006 PRO-BOWL 2000-2003, 2005-2006

2002 UPPER DECK XL 96 OLIN KRUETZ
    AP 2006 PRO-BOWL 2001-2006

2003 BOWMAN 120 LANCE BRIGGS
    2005 AP 2005-2009 PRO-BOWL

2004 TOPPS CHROME 212 TOMMIE HARRIS
    PRO-BOWL 2005-2007

2005 TOPPS TOTAL 366 BRENDON AYANBADEJO
    PRO-BOWL 2006-2007

2006 TOPPS CHROME 252 DEVIN HESTER
    2006-2007 AP, 2006-2007 PRO-BOWL

2006 TOPPS TOTAL 21 ROBBIE GOULD
    2006 AP, PRO-BOWL

POST SEASON HONORS NOTED ARE WHILE THE PLAYER WAS WITH THE BEARS.
  • Options
    Rec,
    Are you going to submit some of these for a vote to PSA?

I would vote for these players:
    2000 BOWMAN CHROME 260 MIKE BROWN
    2000 SP AUTHENTIC 122 BRIAN URLACHER
    2002 UPPER DECK XL 96 OLIN KRUETZ
    2003 BOWMAN 120 LANCE BRIGGS
    2004 TOPPS CHROME 212 TOMMIE HARRIS
    2006 TOPPS CHROME 252 DEVIN HESTER
    2006 TOPPS TOTAL 21 ROBBIE GOULD
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    Hi Vincent,

I didn't show who I was picking, but those are exactly the same players I picked.
    I guess great Bear fans think alike, lol.
    The shame of it is there are only four people registered for the set, so that's half the vote right there.
    Hopefully we will get some more Bear fans interested in the set this year.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Are there any written (or unwritten) rules on these team key card sets about players' years of service? It seems awfully early to include players from 2006, no?
  • Options

<< <i>Are there any written (or unwritten) rules on these team key card sets about players' years of service? It seems awfully early to include players from 2006, no? >>

The only rule PSA has is that half the members vote for the card.
    The way I set up the candidates to vote for is you had to be the best at your position for the decade and have a minimum of one AP or pro-bowl appearance.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Are there any written (or unwritten) rules on these team key card sets about players' years of service? It seems awfully early to include players from 2006, no? >>

The only rule PSA has is that half the members vote for the card.
    The way I set up the candidates to vote for is you had to be the best at your position for the decade and have a minimum of one AP or pro-bowl appearance. >>

Love the set. My only suggestion would be to keep an eye out for some players that are Bears stars for years but may be stuck behind other pro-bowl players in the conference. After all, the set is "All Time Bears", right? It's not "All Time NFL Pro Bowl Selections who played for the Bears".

Imho, the charm of these team sets is that the composite will hopefully include relevant players that aren't regurgitated on all of the other registry sets.