Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grade opinion please for Victorian quarter....

recently purchased 1883-H Canadian Victorian quarter.

I'd appreciate any grade opinions,

the lighter 'lined' area in front of the Queen's face in the fields and the one or two bright lines behind her head (in the fields) and on her neck are defintely NOT marks or imperfections on the coin's surface, rather they are the result of uneven toning.

ty...DE59

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Great detail but those pictures don't show a hint of luster, not even in protected area's so that worries me.

What light play I do see looks like the flat flash of a proof or polished coin - that worries me too...
    Course it could easily just be the photo's lighting.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    VF30 at least, could be a EF.
  • Options
    I disagree about not seeing a hint of luster, though the pictures do appear somewhat flat. I see what appears to be residual luster in the lettering at points, not a lot, but some.

Sorry, I can't grade these coins, but I like it. I even like the uneven toning.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF45ish

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my perspective, the top image is very problematic and I would need to see this one in hand.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭

<< <i>EF45ish >>

I agree with you!
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Just for he heck of it, from the photos, if I were to give it a grade, I would give it a 50. I am wondering if that is wear on the hair or if it is a weak later die struck coin. I would like to see the reeding. -Dan
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect Canadian coins, but using my experience with US coins and using the ANA and Photograde grading standards, I'd say around EF-45, or AU-50 on a good day.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    AU.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting comments,

I think it's MS all day long.

I may take it to ICCS for grading.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have the coin in hand and in this instance, I believe that is a huge advantage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hair detail loss is weak strike on this one. Variable toning such as you have here can be VERY problematic. You can state no abrasion, etc. all day long but there should be a reason for the variable toning and that would be alteration of circumstance to the metal that is being toned in the area.

I agree to that from the picture there is not a lot of luster of the cartwheel type, but some of the dies may have had tome prep work that did not lend itself to such. For British "home market" coins there are a number of 1880s issues that come appearing somewhat prooflike that are not cleaned and have similar lack of luster & the fact this is a Heaton mint issue may hqve some bearing on that as well.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.