Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Thinking about 1964 Topps FB - input

Thinking about starting this set in 8 - maybe 7 and have been doing some research on it. Looks like several high priced SP cards and a handful of pricey lo pops too. I also thought I would see if anybody has a group or several that might give me a running start if I go forward with this set. Certainly any comments or opinions are welcome. I had also been considering 62 Fleer but 64 has several more great AFL players with a few key RC's.

Thanks

J

Comments

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    62 Fleer is a tough one as well. Good luck on whatever you choose.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Both sets are TOUGH. I've completed both but I only graded the ones that could get 7s or 8s. I think the 62 Fleer is one of the nicest looking and 64 one of the ugliest but it has many key rookies. We should stay in touch so we don't get into an unnecessary bidding wars.......
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey Jack,

1964 Topps can be maddening, especially if off centered cards drive you nuts. Those star borders amplify any centering problems the cards have and the ones that have strong centering usually get a lot of attention.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Thanks for the comments - The "supply" out there on ebay, etc seems limited for both years. I did see that Mike (NM) had a good supply for some of the tougher ones.

Will give a head's up if I jump in

J
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the design of 63 Fleer as well. I have considered doing 1960 Fleer in the past and even 1961 Fleer. Just do not know if my wallet and wife would agree with me on either.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • PinkcatfishPinkcatfish Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Yeah the expense is a huge consideration for me - I almost can't stop myself once I start a set. One thing that I did notice is that neither 62Fleer or 64 Topps are wildly popular - something like 25 registry collectors per set. Maybe that is a good thing. I remember when I started my 68FB there were like 3 of us.

The 63's would be awesome but too many high $$$ cards for my budget.

J
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Well 1962 Fleer and 1964 Topps just happen to be my two favorite sets. image

Don't understand why folks think that the 1964s are ugly.
    Is the American flag ugly because of it has a bunch of little stars on it? image

Cards from both are a bit tough to find. 1962 was Fleer's first AFL only set
    and likewise 1964 was Topp's first AFL only set so they limited their print runs.

With the economic downturn really settling in,
    both sets in PSA 7, 8 and even 9 are more affordable right now than they have been in years.

I've included scans of every 1962 and 1964 card in registry sets
    and I've been working on the sets for a long time so let me know if you have any questions about either ...
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • PinkcatfishPinkcatfish Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Wolfbear,

Yes, I saw you were the King of the 64's (62's too I assume). Do you know if SMR has ever done an article on the 64 topps issue ? I helped out on an article for 68 FB and would love to see one on the 64s. If you know of anything like that please LMK. I have thought about going for 7s but my other registry sets are all 8 or better so this would be a different mindset for me but would obviously save alot of $$.

Anyway, thanks for the help and if I jump in will likely hit you a few times.

Thanks

Jack
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Its not the stars that make it ugly----it's the isolated player poses on a straight color background. They look like they are floating in space. As a photographer,I guess I prefer more traditional photos, like the 62 Fleers.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Its not the stars that make it ugly----it's the isolated player poses on a straight color background. They look like they are floating in space. As a photographer,I guess I prefer more traditional photos, like the 62 Fleers. >>

Yup ... similar to what Topps did with the 1969 set.

To my knowledge, SMR has never done an article on either set. Guess I need get to work ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Maybe an article featuring the AFL series from 62-66 or something along those lines. Any vintage FB collector must have some appreciation and warm spot for the AFL.